opps!

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2004
      A cat wandering near the keyboard moment sent that last posting out, empty
      and unintended.
      But as long as I have your attention, here is an item to shake the head over.
      I saw a book 'Rough Guide to Tolkien' the other day and flipping through it
      for a moment, found a page detailing 'parts you can skip over'.
      Chiefly songs were designated, but it seemed to say most of Tom Bombadil
      could be missed too I suppose I should look again to see if it is really that
      dreadful, but I couldn't bear to look at it more closely at the time, but rather
      turned the page with a shudder-and let the book fall unhappily from my hands
      soon after that.

      =========
      John Potts
      E-mail: jpotts@...
      617-504-7441 : Cell

      =========
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        Arrggghh! Now, if they'd perform that same service (parts you can skip)
        for Robert Jordan, I could see the value in it.

        I *like* the Tom Bombadil sequence. Bombadil's cheer and lightsome
        behavior is a great tonic after all the dangers of Mirkwood. It's also
        instructive: Tom can wrap something serious in cheer. He warns them not to
        go near the Barrow Downs, they get lost and he has to rescue them *again.*
        Most importantly, there's what happens with the Ring. You can't tell me
        *that's* not important! I think I'd be suspicious of this book simply for
        the title: "Rough Guide?" Er, no. I think not. ---djb

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
          In a message dated 4/1/2004 1:16:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, odzer@...
          writes:

          > I saw a book 'Rough Guide to Tolkien' the other day and flipping through it
          >
          > for a moment, found a page detailing 'parts you can skip over'.

          I think that if someone thought that there are large parts of the book that
          can be skipped over, that person would do better to not write a guidebook to
          _The Lord of the Rings_ at all. I just flipped through _The Rough Guide to
          Tolkien_ (which I bought a while ago but hadn't had time to look through yet), and
          it strikes me as a good example of the movies infecting any response to the
          book. The guidebook seems to be as much about the movies as about the book.

        • Joshua Kronengold
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
            WendellWag@... writes:
            >I think that if someone thought that there are large parts of the book that
            >can be skipped over, that person would do better to not write a guidebook to
            >book. The guidebook seems to be as much about the movies as about the book.

            Though there -are- parts of the movies that can be skipped over,
            easily! :)

            --
            Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
            --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'