RE: On the trail of hobbits?

  • Julia Palffy
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3 1:58 PM
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      "Thus, our European ancestors were an amazing bunch of hobbits running
      around measuring somewhere in the 2 feet, 2 feet 6 in, 3 feet range?

      I can just imagine the 2-foot-long suits of armor and the 2 1/2-foot-tall
      horses they were using in those days of chivalry... there must be some in
      museums"

      There is... and it does look a bit large for Hobbits! ;-) though rather too
      small for the average modern man. The range might be more like 5 feet, 5
      feet 10". Still, knights had to be tough. I remember being told in school
      that a knight in full armour would have been carrying 30-35 kgs of metal on
      his body, which considerably hampered their mobility. I also remember a
      display in a museum in England, explaining that their chargers were huge
      horses of the Clydesdale type, because these were the only ones that didn't
      collapse under the weight of the armour (the horse also wore some armoured
      protection of its own, besides having to carry the knight and his stuff,
      which would probably amount to ca. 100 kg).

      Other examples for comparison: in Haworth Parsonage, one of Charlotte
      Bront´┐Ż's actual dresses (adult size) is displayed. She writes somewhere that
      she was undersized, being something under 5 feet, and the dress bears this
      out. The dress is in fact pretty small - today it would barely fit a petite
      10 year-old (You wouldn't believe how tiny that waist is!).

      Still smaller are the petrified Roman bodies that were excavated at Pompeii.
      When you actually see them, it's hard to believe they weren't all children,
      even taking into account that they must have been shrivelled by the hot
      ashes which buried them.
      The Romans were known to be of small stature - but even these must have been
      at least 4 feet tall...

      Also, different European peoples had different average sizes during the same
      period. The Gauls often seemed gigantic to the Romans.

      So, even though people today are as an average somewhat taller than their
      medieval ancestors, that "full meter" difference reads more like a joke from
      Marseille (people there love exaggerating...)than like any kind of serious
      fact...

      Julia Palffy
      Zug, Switzerland
      jupalffy@...
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3 6:37 PM
        jupalffy@... writes:

        > being something under 5 feet,

        So was Queen Victoria, if I recall. Geo Washington, on the other hand, was 6
        foot three in his prime.

        I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
        life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

        Granted, of course, that Northern Europeans on the average were taller than
        Mediterraneans. I was told recently on another list that human height is a
        genetic given, with max attainment depending on nutrition; people in bygone
        ages =who got well fed= reached the same heights as their descendants today -
        but of course there were fewer who were well fed. This was from a study
        which measured actual buried bones, surviving clothing, etc.

        Inbreeding in a given smaller population can produce startling results: viz.
        Watusis or Pygmies. And if you want to know, Pygmies measured in the early
        1900's, it says here in my 1911 EB, averaged 4 1/2 feet, though some of 3 1/2
        or even 3 feet were known.

        Just for the record, I measure around 5 ft 7 and 3/4 inches. My mother is 5'
        6", my father topped six feet (as do my sons) and my father's mother was 6 ft
        tall, unusual in her day and age. Husband Conrad is around 5' 10". Racial
        derivation here, on both sides, largely northern European.

        Son John went to Carleton College, in Minnesota, and the dorm beds were
        extra-long twins for which we had to buy special sheets :)

        Mary S
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3 6:37 PM
          In a message dated 3/3/00 2:34:43 PM Central Standard Time, ERATRIANO@...
          writes:

          > << Role-playing games and rock bands are tops for generating false hits for
          > otherwise sensible words. >>
          > Well, uh, some gamers are also history and/or literature buffs. Just a
          > matter of asking the right person.

          True, but I meant you don't get the factual history webpage you are looking
          for on your word-search. I would never demean or impugn the intelligence of
          gamers.

          Mary S
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3 7:35 PM
            On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

            > I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
            > life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

            Somehow this causes me to think of four-footed Romans, and to imagine
            statues of Roman soldiers in glistening armour, posed awkwardly with
            their hands on the ground and their rears sticking up in the air.

            David Bratman
          • Julia Palffy
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4 2:02 AM
              Stolzi@... wrote:

              I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
              life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

              I remember found it hard to believe it too when I saw those petrified
              bodies... which is why I suggested the possibility of some "shrivelling" -
              but of course, I can't imagine that making more than a couple of inches
              difference. It's many years since I visited Pompeii, so my estimate may be a
              little wide of the mark, but I think not much.

              As to Roman statuary - It would depend on what it was made for in the first
              place.
              I visited the collection in the Vatican museums last November. There were
              too many different sizes to be really sure of which were life-size. Most of
              them, as I remember, were funerary statues. They did seem curiously
              proportioned in that they were just under what I would define as life-size,
              sort of the shape of adults but the height of children.
              I think the function of the statues would also influence their size: the
              statue of a famous consul or of some divinity, meant to be set up as a
              public monument, would be more likely to be carved somewhat oversize to look
              more impressive. And family Lares (statues of ancestors) might also depen on
              the price the sculptor asked for it or what the family could have afforded.
              So I'm not sure statues are a good reference to judge the size of actual
              people.

              Again, when I think of the Etruscan war-chariot I saw in the same museum, I
              think a five-foot man would almost have been too tall for it. I'm not sure
              whether it was meant for a single passenger or a charioteer and a passenger
              (in the latter case, only hobbits could actually have fitted into it without
              falling out at the first jerk!)And yet it certainly wasn't a toy!

              Thinking about it, a lot of historical artefacts I've seen in museums are
              unnervingly barely just too small to seem realistic - I've often wondered
              whether I could really believe what was written on the display label, or
              been tempted to think it must have been some kind of ritual object, not
              meant for actual wear, or been meant for a child, though it isn't anything
              child-like...

              Julia Palffy
              Zug, Switzerland
              jupalffy@...
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4 4:10 AM
                I'm a "naturalized" German/English type (thank you for that info on Cousin
                George), around five and a half feet tall and all the men on my side of the
                family are 6' or over BUT I married a Northern Irish/Sicilian and most of the
                men on the Sicilian side are shorter than me, and of the Northern Irish some
                seem very short and others very tall (been there to visit the family)... not
                that you care... AND when doing the hitchhiking / train thing in 1985, my
                friend and I noticed, crossing the borders coming up from France into
                Germany, that everyone suddenly got a few inches taller on average. Didn't
                go into Italy and Greece. It's a pretty noticeable trend, if you are just
                blundering around prepared to notice it.

                Lizzie
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4 4:10 AM
                  In a message dated 03/03/2000 9:39:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  Stolzi@... writes:

                  << True, but I meant you don't get the factual history webpage you are
                  looking
                  for on your word-search. I would never demean or impugn the intelligence of
                  gamers. >>
                  ggg. It's so hard to see expressions on this machine. Actually I get a lot
                  of false leads when doing web searches. Even using questions. And then the
                  search engine has the nerve to question my spelling.

                  Lizzie