Fwd: (Whiteoak) Earthsea Trilogy

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2004
      Looks like New Zealand is to be Earthsea, too.
      Alexei

      <<From http://www.scifi.com/earthsea

      SCIFI Channel, the largest provider of original movies and miniseries on

      television, announces production start on Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea.

      Produced by Hallmark Entertainment in association with Bender-Brown

      Productions, this four-hour miniseries epic will begin principal photography

      this spring in New Zealand. Adapted from award-winning novelist Ursula K. Le

      Guin's "Earthsea" book series, Earthsea is scripted by Gavin Scott (The

      Mists of Avalon). The executive producers are Robert Halmi, Sr.

      (Dreamkeeper, Merlin), Lawrence Bender (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) and Kevin

      Brown (Roswell). Earthsea is slated to debut on SCI FI in December 2004.

      Earthsea follows the tale of a reckless youth destined to become the

      greatest sorcerer that the mystical land of Earthsea has ever known. When

      the young wizard Ged discovers that he possesses infinite magical powers, he

      seeks to master the ancient arts. As he journeys to manhood, he will combat

      dragons, fall in love, cross death's threshold, and ultimately wield the

      power to reunite a kingdom.

      Earthsea is an adaptation of the first two of Le Guin's famed

      Earthsea-trilogy novels: A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan.

      Frequently listed alongside Tolkien's Middle Earth and C.S. Lewis's Narnia

      as one of fantasy's greatest literary creations, the stories of Earthsea

      have been translated into 16 languages, with millions of copies in print.

      Popular with readers both within and outside the science-fiction arena,

      author Le Guin has won five Hugo awards and five Nebula awards. She has also

      earned a National Book Award, and been named a finalist for the American

      Book Award numerous times.

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2004
        Looks like New Zealand is to be Earthsea, too. >>

        I could see that. Lots of water handy too. ;-) I hope they do a good job
        of it.

        I was just looking at my copy of _The Other Wind_ yesterday. Haven't read
        it yet. I have only read _Tehanu_ once, and don't know offhand where I
        have that and the first three. I am hoping I can read TOW without having
        to reread the others. I don't have a good memory for details though.
        Opinions?

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2004
          Lizzie -

          It'd help, certainly, to have the previous Earthsea books clearly in mind
          before reading _The Other Wind_, but it isn't necessary. There are strong
          ties to _Tehanu_, _The Farthest Shore_, and "Dragonfly" from _Tales of
          Earthsea_ in the plot.

          David Bratman
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
            Err, I don't remember Ged falling in love, unless it's Tehanu he takes to.
            Will have to re-read the whole Earthsea thing again soon, I guess. ---djb

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Jack
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
              >Err, I don't remember Ged falling in love, unless it's Tehanu he takes to.
              >Will have to re-read the whole Earthsea thing again soon, I guess. ---djb

              It is Tenar -- But it's the novel called Tehanu.
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                TOW revived my memory of events somewhat, though I couldn't recall Tenar's
                name and Jack had to remind me. Anyway, it's always good to re-read stuff;
                I should at least re-read *Tombs of Atuan,* since that's the one I recall
                least. Wouldn't hurt to read *Farthest Shore,* too. --djb

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                  At 11:08 AM 3/31/2004 -0500, Diane Joy Baker wrote:

                  >Err, I don't remember Ged falling in love, unless it's Tehanu he takes to.

                  Tehanu? Ew, she's like his stepdaughter. Gross.

                  >Will have to re-read the whole Earthsea thing again soon, I guess.

                  Let's try re-reading the press release in the meantime, shall we? It says:

                  >As he journeys to manhood, he will combat
                  >dragons, fall in love, cross death's threshold, and ultimately wield the
                  >power to reunite a kingdom.

                  "Journeys to manhood" describes _Wizard_ only, and everything else in this
                  description is either from that book or _Farthest Shore_. So my first
                  guess would be "falls in love" refers either to a rather chilling
                  puppy-love episode in chapter 2 of _Wizard_ or else his longing for the
                  spirit of Elfarran, which is what brings forth the Shadow. But when we
                  read further and see:

                  >Earthsea is an adaptation of the first two of Le Guin's famed
                  >Earthsea-trilogy novels: A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan.

                  it becomes horribly inevitable that Ged is going to fall in love with
                  Tenar. Dash it, if he does so in _Tombs_ it will only prove that the
                  filmmakers have utterly missed the point: but then film adaptors,
                  especially if they're from New Zealand, are famous for missing the point.

                  - David Bratman
                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                    Tenar is the strange young lady? And Tehanu the dragon at the end? It
                    wasn't the older lady in Tehanu, who I thought was the girl from the
                    trilogy, that he had fallen in love with?

                    I really don't recall those details.. it comes back quick when I read it
                    though, and those books are a fast read. Would probably take longer to
                    find them than to read them. ;-)

                    thanks !

                    Lizzie Apgar Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                      At 12:23 PM 3/31/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Tenar is the strange young lady? And Tehanu the dragon at the end? It
                      >wasn't the older lady in Tehanu, who I thought was the girl from the
                      >trilogy, that he had fallen in love with?

                      No, it was her. She's Tenar, known for most of _Tombs_ as Arha. The
                      "strange young lady" in _Tehanu_, still a girl IIRC, is Tehanu, known for
                      most of the book as Therru.

                      This may be confusing. I've known people who didn't grasp that Strider,
                      Aragorn, and Elessar were all the same person, or that Sauron and Saruman
                      were different people. (They're both bad guys whose names start with S,
                      you see. Way too confusing. How about Theoden and Denethor? Switch their
                      syllables around and they almost become each other.)

                      - David Bratman
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                        Let's try re-reading the press release in the meantime, shall we? It says:

                        lololol touche.

                        Lizzie Apgar Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia
                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                          No, it was her. She's Tenar, known for most of _Tombs_ as Arha. The
                          "strange young lady" in _Tehanu_, still a girl IIRC, is Tehanu, known for
                          most of the book as Therru. >>

                          OK OK I better reread.

                          This may be confusing. I've known people who didn't grasp that Strider,
                          Aragorn, and Elessar were all the same person, or that Sauron and Saruman
                          were different people. (They're both bad guys whose names start with S,
                          you see. Way too confusing. How about Theoden and Denethor? Switch their
                          syllables around and they almost become each other.) >>

                          Oh, ow. Sauron and Saruman I had trouble with, way back, I think. But
                          it's not the main characters of the Ring that have confused me -- it's the
                          ages and Houses of Tolkien's creation, the Men and the Elves and their
                          battles and their betrayals. I can never, ever keep track of All That.

                          Lizzie Apgar Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia
                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                            In a message dated 3/31/2004 12:26:23 PM Central Standard Time,
                            dbratman@... writes:

                            >They're both bad guys whose names start with S, you see. Way too confusing.

                            L Sprague de Camp (I think it was he) propounded some rules for fantasy/sf
                            writing, one of which was that the names should be distinctive. He said that he
                            could never, for instance, keep from mixing up CS Lewis' villain Weston and
                            his hero Ransom.

                            Diamond Proudbrook