Re: silly millimeter

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
      > While I do meet women shorter than I am, I certainly encounter many
      > much taller. Maybe we have taller people in Minnesota than in other parts of
      > the country?

      I would guess that Minnesotans, with their heavily Norse ethnicity, would
      tend to be taller than people from other areas. Mexicans and Asians,
      for instance, tend to be shorter than Germanic folks like myself.
      I have no idea of the actual statistics, but I would guess that the
      extremely mixed ethnic makeup of the US could account for having more
      short people in parts of the country other than the central northern
      states.
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
        Well, one of my bosses was male and several inches shorter than me (I'm 5-6). My
        daughter is an inch shorter than me (and boy is she pissed). My mother-in-law was
        5-1. Karen Trimble is very short (not even 5 feet), but she makes a great Lobelia
        Baggins! Harold's fourth grade teacher (a woman in her 20s) was 5-3, and had one
        male student taller than her (his adult height will be 6-8). My brother is 5-7 as is
        my father. My ex's current wife is 5-short (like 3) and one of her teenage son's
        almost at full growth isn't much taller.

        There seem to be a reasonable number of shorter people out there. Most of them are
        probably older, but a lot of kids aren't always taller than their parents anymore
        either (see my daughter).

        Just for the record, my husband is 6 feet. Moose may end up 6-2. Grandpa Harold was
        about 6 feet before he started shrinking from old age, he's about 5-9 now.

        Oh, and if you want a shorter inseam, go to a store that caters to Orientals. They
        tend to be shorter, so the "men's petite" can be found there. And the tailor can
        also be your friend <g>.

        Mythically yours,

        Lisa

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
          In a message dated 3/3/00 1:14:37 PM Central Standard Time, d-lena@...
          writes:

          > From: David Lenander <d-lena@...>
          >
          > Maybe a misprint for "full centimeter"?

          An impressive difference indeed! Hurrah for public health!