silly millimeter

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
      Maybe a misprint for "full centimeter"? Or how about, "a silly millimeter
      longer"

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > Today I received the following amazing communication in an e-mail newsletter:
      >
      > > As a result of public health, today the
      > > average American is a full meter taller than European ancestors were
      > > in 1400.

      Re: the stats forwarded by Wendell (?) where are all of these short Americans
      who bring down the average to 5' 9" ? From my observations, there are FAR more
      men around taller than 5-9, taller than 6 feet, for that matter, than shorter
      than I am (I pretend to 5-6). And I really meet few men as short as I am, or
      even just a little bit taller at 5-7 or so. The stats for women seem similarly
      skewed. While I do meet women shorter than I am, I certainly encounter many
      much taller. Maybe we have taller people in Minnesota than in other parts of
      the country? If the average height of women is 5-3, then the vast majority of
      women I meet should be shorter than I am, and I don't think that's at all the
      case. I would guess that most women I meet are my height or taller.

      Also, while we don't have to worry too much about suits of mail or armor, men's
      pants are mostly sold in inseams of 30" or even 32" minimum (sometimes you can
      find 28"), if there are all these short men out there, of 5' 4" and 5' 2" or
      whatever, to balance 6' 4" men in achieving our average height of 5-9, why don't
      retailers sell pants in shorter lengths? (I realize that there are boys' sizes
      out there, too).
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
        > While I do meet women shorter than I am, I certainly encounter many
        > much taller. Maybe we have taller people in Minnesota than in other parts of
        > the country?

        I would guess that Minnesotans, with their heavily Norse ethnicity, would
        tend to be taller than people from other areas. Mexicans and Asians,
        for instance, tend to be shorter than Germanic folks like myself.
        I have no idea of the actual statistics, but I would guess that the
        extremely mixed ethnic makeup of the US could account for having more
        short people in parts of the country other than the central northern
        states.
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
          Well, one of my bosses was male and several inches shorter than me (I'm 5-6). My
          daughter is an inch shorter than me (and boy is she pissed). My mother-in-law was
          5-1. Karen Trimble is very short (not even 5 feet), but she makes a great Lobelia
          Baggins! Harold's fourth grade teacher (a woman in her 20s) was 5-3, and had one
          male student taller than her (his adult height will be 6-8). My brother is 5-7 as is
          my father. My ex's current wife is 5-short (like 3) and one of her teenage son's
          almost at full growth isn't much taller.

          There seem to be a reasonable number of shorter people out there. Most of them are
          probably older, but a lot of kids aren't always taller than their parents anymore
          either (see my daughter).

          Just for the record, my husband is 6 feet. Moose may end up 6-2. Grandpa Harold was
          about 6 feet before he started shrinking from old age, he's about 5-9 now.

          Oh, and if you want a shorter inseam, go to a store that caters to Orientals. They
          tend to be shorter, so the "men's petite" can be found there. And the tailor can
          also be your friend <g>.

          Mythically yours,

          Lisa

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
            In a message dated 3/3/00 1:14:37 PM Central Standard Time, d-lena@...
            writes:

            > From: David Lenander <d-lena@...>
            >
            > Maybe a misprint for "full centimeter"?

            An impressive difference indeed! Hurrah for public health!