Re: New Beowulf

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
      David,

      I also was not attacking you, or JRRT; this is just an instance where I
      think he was wrong (thankfully, there are very few times where I
      disagree with him).

      Ted

      WendellWag@... wrote:

      > From: WendellWag@...
      >
      > In a message dated 3/3/00 7:20:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > dbratman@... writes:
      >
      > > Man, I'm getting it from both sides this week, aren't I?
      >
      > I'm sorry if that came out sounding nasty. I didn't mean it as an attack on
      > you. An attack on Tolkien, possibly, but not on you.
      >
      > I was referring to Tolkien's German ancestors, who were 1/64 of his ancestry
      > (or was it 1/32 or 1/128?). There are Americans who make a big deal of what
      > country their ancestors immigrated from, even if they immigrated over 200
      > years ago. There's something a bit odd about an Englishman making a big deal
      > about his ethnic identity. It's not as odd as an American making a big deal
      > about his ethnic identity, but it's odd nevertheless.
      >
      > Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
      > letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
      > the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
      > who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
      > the book would be utter heresy.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

      > DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
      > Apply NOW!

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman
      Department of English, Box X041
      College of Liberal Arts
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37130
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
        On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

        > I was referring to Tolkien's German ancestors, who were 1/64 of his ancestry
        > (or was it 1/32 or 1/128?). There are Americans who make a big deal of what
        > country their ancestors immigrated from, even if they immigrated over 200
        > years ago. There's something a bit odd about an Englishman making a big deal
        > about his ethnic identity. It's not as odd as an American making a big deal
        > about his ethnic identity, but it's odd nevertheless.

        Americans tend not, however, to make a big deal out of ancestors who were
        only 1/64th of their ancestry, unless it's something rare and special. I
        know people who are 1/64th Amerind, and proud of it.

        Tolkien didn't make a big deal out of his ancestry: these are three
        letters over an entire lifetime! But to the extent that he did, it was
        1) to correct the misapprehension, from his name, that he was German; 2)
        because he loved his homeland and felt a special connection with it.
        There's nothing wrong with that: here in California, people whose
        ancestors have been here for a whole hundred years feel a special sense
        of connectedness which they hold over those of us who've only been here
        for 30 or 40 years; and we, in turn, who can remember Silicon Valley
        before it was called that, and when it was full of orchards, have
        something over the dot-com weenies.

        > Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
        > letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
        > the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
        > who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
        > the book would be utter heresy.

        I agree with them!

        David Bratman
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
          ----------
          >From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

          >On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

          >> Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
          >> letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
          >> the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
          >> who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
          >> the book would be utter heresy.
          >
          >I agree with them!

          Hmmph. Surely they would agree to let Americans voice the orcs!

          Berni
          David Bratman is not responsible for the following message:
          (Just kidding, dear!)
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
            On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Berni Phillips wrote:

            > David Bratman is not responsible for the following message:
            > (Just kidding, dear!)

            What, I _am_ responsible for the following message? <g>

            DB
          • Ted Sherman
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
              "David S. Bratman" wrote:

              >and we, in turn, who can remember Silicon Valley
              > before it was called that, and when it was full of orchards, have
              > something over the dot-com weenies.

              David,

              Your comment about the orchards brought back a flood of memories of the
              Santa Clara Valley when it still have more orchards than concrete. I can
              remember looking down over the valley from Skyline or the Saratoga Gap
              and seeing blossoms--plum and apricot--from the Santa Cruz foothills to
              the Mt. Hamilton range.

              Thanks for the jolt to my memory!

              Ted