Re: On the trail of hobbits?

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
      I just tried to look up what the actual difference in average height is
      between now and 1400. The best guess seems to be about two or three inches
      (caused by things like improved nutrition and such). The average height of
      adult American men now is 5' 9.0" and of adult American women is 5' 3.6",
      incidentally.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
        WendellWag@... writes:

        > I just tried to look up what the actual difference in average height is
        > between now and 1400

        Good luck! I tried that on the Web when we had this discussion awhile ago
        on another List, and kept getting sites for role-playing games: how high is
        the Human who is combatting the Troll, and how many points to assign them,
        etc. It was v annoying!

        Role-playing games and rock bands are tops for generating false hits for
        otherwise sensible words. Plus genealogy sites, if you are trying to look
        up any author who has a name a bit more ordinary than, say, "J.R.R. Tolkien."

        Mary S
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
          In a message dated 03/03/2000 2:56:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          << Role-playing games and rock bands are tops for generating false hits for
          otherwise sensible words. >>
          Well, uh, some gamers are also history and/or literature buffs. Just a
          matter of asking the right person.

          Lizzie
        • Julia Palffy
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
            Stolzi@... wrote:

            "Thus, our European ancestors were an amazing bunch of hobbits running
            around measuring somewhere in the 2 feet, 2 feet 6 in, 3 feet range?

            I can just imagine the 2-foot-long suits of armor and the 2 1/2-foot-tall
            horses they were using in those days of chivalry... there must be some in
            museums"

            There is... and it does look a bit large for Hobbits! ;-) though rather too
            small for the average modern man. The range might be more like 5 feet, 5
            feet 10". Still, knights had to be tough. I remember being told in school
            that a knight in full armour would have been carrying 30-35 kgs of metal on
            his body, which considerably hampered their mobility. I also remember a
            display in a museum in England, explaining that their chargers were huge
            horses of the Clydesdale type, because these were the only ones that didn't
            collapse under the weight of the armour (the horse also wore some armoured
            protection of its own, besides having to carry the knight and his stuff,
            which would probably amount to ca. 100 kg).

            Other examples for comparison: in Haworth Parsonage, one of Charlotte
            Bront´┐Ż's actual dresses (adult size) is displayed. She writes somewhere that
            she was undersized, being something under 5 feet, and the dress bears this
            out. The dress is in fact pretty small - today it would barely fit a petite
            10 year-old (You wouldn't believe how tiny that waist is!).

            Still smaller are the petrified Roman bodies that were excavated at Pompeii.
            When you actually see them, it's hard to believe they weren't all children,
            even taking into account that they must have been shrivelled by the hot
            ashes which buried them.
            The Romans were known to be of small stature - but even these must have been
            at least 4 feet tall...

            Also, different European peoples had different average sizes during the same
            period. The Gauls often seemed gigantic to the Romans.

            So, even though people today are as an average somewhat taller than their
            medieval ancestors, that "full meter" difference reads more like a joke from
            Marseille (people there love exaggerating...)than like any kind of serious
            fact...

            Julia Palffy
            Zug, Switzerland
            jupalffy@...
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
              jupalffy@... writes:

              > being something under 5 feet,

              So was Queen Victoria, if I recall. Geo Washington, on the other hand, was 6
              foot three in his prime.

              I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
              life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

              Granted, of course, that Northern Europeans on the average were taller than
              Mediterraneans. I was told recently on another list that human height is a
              genetic given, with max attainment depending on nutrition; people in bygone
              ages =who got well fed= reached the same heights as their descendants today -
              but of course there were fewer who were well fed. This was from a study
              which measured actual buried bones, surviving clothing, etc.

              Inbreeding in a given smaller population can produce startling results: viz.
              Watusis or Pygmies. And if you want to know, Pygmies measured in the early
              1900's, it says here in my 1911 EB, averaged 4 1/2 feet, though some of 3 1/2
              or even 3 feet were known.

              Just for the record, I measure around 5 ft 7 and 3/4 inches. My mother is 5'
              6", my father topped six feet (as do my sons) and my father's mother was 6 ft
              tall, unusual in her day and age. Husband Conrad is around 5' 10". Racial
              derivation here, on both sides, largely northern European.

              Son John went to Carleton College, in Minnesota, and the dorm beds were
              extra-long twins for which we had to buy special sheets :)

              Mary S
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
                In a message dated 3/3/00 2:34:43 PM Central Standard Time, ERATRIANO@...
                writes:

                > << Role-playing games and rock bands are tops for generating false hits for
                > otherwise sensible words. >>
                > Well, uh, some gamers are also history and/or literature buffs. Just a
                > matter of asking the right person.

                True, but I meant you don't get the factual history webpage you are looking
                for on your word-search. I would never demean or impugn the intelligence of
                gamers.

                Mary S
              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
                  On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

                  > I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
                  > life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

                  Somehow this causes me to think of four-footed Romans, and to imagine
                  statues of Roman soldiers in glistening armour, posed awkwardly with
                  their hands on the ground and their rears sticking up in the air.

                  David Bratman
                • Julia Palffy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
                    Stolzi@... wrote:

                    I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
                    life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

                    I remember found it hard to believe it too when I saw those petrified
                    bodies... which is why I suggested the possibility of some "shrivelling" -
                    but of course, I can't imagine that making more than a couple of inches
                    difference. It's many years since I visited Pompeii, so my estimate may be a
                    little wide of the mark, but I think not much.

                    As to Roman statuary - It would depend on what it was made for in the first
                    place.
                    I visited the collection in the Vatican museums last November. There were
                    too many different sizes to be really sure of which were life-size. Most of
                    them, as I remember, were funerary statues. They did seem curiously
                    proportioned in that they were just under what I would define as life-size,
                    sort of the shape of adults but the height of children.
                    I think the function of the statues would also influence their size: the
                    statue of a famous consul or of some divinity, meant to be set up as a
                    public monument, would be more likely to be carved somewhat oversize to look
                    more impressive. And family Lares (statues of ancestors) might also depen on
                    the price the sculptor asked for it or what the family could have afforded.
                    So I'm not sure statues are a good reference to judge the size of actual
                    people.

                    Again, when I think of the Etruscan war-chariot I saw in the same museum, I
                    think a five-foot man would almost have been too tall for it. I'm not sure
                    whether it was meant for a single passenger or a charioteer and a passenger
                    (in the latter case, only hobbits could actually have fitted into it without
                    falling out at the first jerk!)And yet it certainly wasn't a toy!

                    Thinking about it, a lot of historical artefacts I've seen in museums are
                    unnervingly barely just too small to seem realistic - I've often wondered
                    whether I could really believe what was written on the display label, or
                    been tempted to think it must have been some kind of ritual object, not
                    meant for actual wear, or been meant for a child, though it isn't anything
                    child-like...

                    Julia Palffy
                    Zug, Switzerland
                    jupalffy@...
                  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
                      I'm a "naturalized" German/English type (thank you for that info on Cousin
                      George), around five and a half feet tall and all the men on my side of the
                      family are 6' or over BUT I married a Northern Irish/Sicilian and most of the
                      men on the Sicilian side are shorter than me, and of the Northern Irish some
                      seem very short and others very tall (been there to visit the family)... not
                      that you care... AND when doing the hitchhiking / train thing in 1985, my
                      friend and I noticed, crossing the borders coming up from France into
                      Germany, that everyone suddenly got a few inches taller on average. Didn't
                      go into Italy and Greece. It's a pretty noticeable trend, if you are just
                      blundering around prepared to notice it.

                      Lizzie
                    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
                        In a message dated 03/03/2000 9:39:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        Stolzi@... writes:

                        << True, but I meant you don't get the factual history webpage you are
                        looking
                        for on your word-search. I would never demean or impugn the intelligence of
                        gamers. >>
                        ggg. It's so hard to see expressions on this machine. Actually I get a lot
                        of false leads when doing web searches. Even using questions. And then the
                        search engine has the nerve to question my spelling.

                        Lizzie