Re: Antlered Figure Herne/Cernunnos

  • David
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
      And I think lots of others, including Diana Wynne Jones' _Dogsbody_, and depending on how you view it, Alexander's Prydain. I think there are a number of neo-Pagan fictional works with significant appearances as well, as Herne is often the god/male divinity in partnership with the Mother goddess, at least in the various
      Gardnerian-like witchcraft traditions. Also the figure appears in many illustrations and paintings at SF con art shows.

      Cat Eldridge wrote:

      > From: Cat Eldridge <cat@...>
      >
      > >Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series is about the only fictional
      > >reference I have found (which doesn't say a lot), and there he is known as
      > >Herne, Master of the Wild Hunt.
      >
      > He also figures in Jane Yolen's The Wild Hunt, Charles de Lint's Greenmantle, Alan Garner's THe Moon of Gomrath, W. Harrison's Ainsworth's Herne the Hunter, Diane Daune's The Wizard Abroad, and Mildred Broxon's Too Long a Sacrifice. I suspect there are other novels with a herne the Hunter motif but those are the ones I know about.
      >
      > NR -- Brian McNeill's second busker novel, To Answer the Peacock, and Madeline L'Engle's Severed Wasp
      > NP -- Pogues, Red Roses for Me

      > Tired of missing calls while online? Now you can surf the Internet
      > without worrying about missing important calls! CallWave's FREE
      > Internet Answering Machine lets you hear who's calling while online.

    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
        He also shows up, or a variant thereof, in Lawhead's The Silver Hand.
        And don't forget Shakespeare's Twelfth Night (or is it the Merry Wives
        of Windsor???).

        Ted

        David wrote:

        > From: David <d-lena@...>
        >
        > And I think lots of others, including Diana Wynne Jones' _Dogsbody_, and depending on how you view it, Alexander's Prydain. I think there are a number of neo-Pagan fictional works with significant appearances as well, as Herne is often the god/male divinity in partnership with the Mother goddess, at least in the various
        > Gardnerian-like witchcraft traditions. Also the figure appears in many illustrations and paintings at SF con art shows.
        >
        > Cat Eldridge wrote:
        >
        > > From: Cat Eldridge <cat@...>
        > >
        > > >Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series is about the only fictional
        > > >reference I have found (which doesn't say a lot), and there he is known as
        > > >Herne, Master of the Wild Hunt.
        > >
        > > He also figures in Jane Yolen's The Wild Hunt, Charles de Lint's Greenmantle, Alan Garner's THe Moon of Gomrath, W. Harrison's Ainsworth's Herne the Hunter, Diane Daune's The Wizard Abroad, and Mildred Broxon's Too Long a Sacrifice. I suspect there are other novels with a herne the Hunter motif but those are the ones I know about.
        > >
        > > NR -- Brian McNeill's second busker novel, To Answer the Peacock, and Madeline L'Engle's Severed Wasp
        > > NP -- Pogues, Red Roses for Me

        > > Tired of missing calls while online? Now you can surf the Internet
        > > without worrying about missing important calls! CallWave's FREE
        > > Internet Answering Machine lets you hear who's calling while online.
        > Forever. If you have any desires to sell your products or services
        > online, or you want to expand your customer base for FREE, Come check
        > out Shabang!com FREE eStores!

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman
        Department of English, Box X041
        College of Liberal Arts
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37130
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • Madame K
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
          There is also Guy Gavriel Kay's excellent trilogy: The Fionavar Tapestry,
          which features the Wild Hunt and an Antlered God.

          Mary Jo Kapsalis