Antlered Figure Herne/Cernunnos

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 4:22 AM
      In a message dated 03/01/2000 5:46:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << > And some antlered lord tales. Why is this figure so elusive?

      Huh? >>
      gggg ah, a remark I can relate to, for a change. The figure known as Herne
      or Cernunnos. Now, was that a "Who?" huh or a "What, there's lots of
      literature on him, what do you mean?" huh?

      Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series is about the only fictional
      reference I have found (which doesn't say a lot), and there he is known as
      Herne, Master of the Wild Hunt.

      In nonfiction he is a little easier to find, appearing as Cernunnos, such as
      the figure on the Gundestrop Cauldron, the petroglyphs in the cave (cavern?)
      of Les Trois Freres in France and Val Camonica in Italy.

      It's like, he's out there but elusive, say the way Taliessin was maybe 20
      years ago. There is a little voice in my head that says I have seen
      references to Herne elsewhere in English literature (modern or old I don't
      know, but English as opposed to American, and probably not French).
      Cernunnos seems more widespread, an older Celtic figure, and Herne more his
      English counterpart. But it is all lost in the shreds of my reading from
      years ago, and just hunches.

      There is also a bit of artwork about him in the New Age/Wiccan circles, as
      well as some books which include him under references to Wiccan gods. But
      that's not really what I'm looking for. Too modern. Don't trust them. I
      can make that stuff up myself, although I must admit a soft spot for some of
      it. ggg

      And I know I'm not of the same academic fluency as many of you, so please
      don't poke me in the eye with a stick. I'm just looking to get back on the
      learning track. Thanks.

      Lizzie
    • Cat Eldridge
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 4:37 AM
        >Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series is about the only fictional
        >reference I have found (which doesn't say a lot), and there he is known as
        >Herne, Master of the Wild Hunt.

        He also figures in Jane Yolen's The Wild Hunt, Charles de Lint's Greenmantle, Alan Garner's THe Moon of Gomrath, W. Harrison's Ainsworth's Herne the Hunter, Diane Daune's The Wizard Abroad, and Mildred Broxon's Too Long a Sacrifice. I suspect there are other novels with a herne the Hunter motif but those are the ones I know about.

        NR -- Brian McNeill's second busker novel, To Answer the Peacock, and Madeline L'Engle's Severed Wasp
        NP -- Pogues, Red Roses for Me
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 7:44 AM
          In a message dated 3/1/00 7:28:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, ERATRIANO@...
          writes:

          She had written:

          > And some antlered lord tales. Why is this figure so elusive?

          To which I replied:

          > Huh?

          To which she replied:

          > gggg ah, a remark I can relate to, for a change. The figure known as Herne
          > or Cernunnos. Now, was that a "Who?" huh or a "What, there's lots of
          > literature on him, what do you mean?" huh?

          I didn't know there was a significant figure in English legend who was
          antlered. I suppose I vaguely knew of such a figure in world mythology.

          Wendell Wagner
        • David
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 8:17 AM
            And I think lots of others, including Diana Wynne Jones' _Dogsbody_, and depending on how you view it, Alexander's Prydain. I think there are a number of neo-Pagan fictional works with significant appearances as well, as Herne is often the god/male divinity in partnership with the Mother goddess, at least in the various
            Gardnerian-like witchcraft traditions. Also the figure appears in many illustrations and paintings at SF con art shows.

            Cat Eldridge wrote:

            > From: Cat Eldridge <cat@...>
            >
            > >Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series is about the only fictional
            > >reference I have found (which doesn't say a lot), and there he is known as
            > >Herne, Master of the Wild Hunt.
            >
            > He also figures in Jane Yolen's The Wild Hunt, Charles de Lint's Greenmantle, Alan Garner's THe Moon of Gomrath, W. Harrison's Ainsworth's Herne the Hunter, Diane Daune's The Wizard Abroad, and Mildred Broxon's Too Long a Sacrifice. I suspect there are other novels with a herne the Hunter motif but those are the ones I know about.
            >
            > NR -- Brian McNeill's second busker novel, To Answer the Peacock, and Madeline L'Engle's Severed Wasp
            > NP -- Pogues, Red Roses for Me

            > Tired of missing calls while online? Now you can surf the Internet
            > without worrying about missing important calls! CallWave's FREE
            > Internet Answering Machine lets you hear who's calling while online.

          • Ted Sherman
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1 8:30 AM
              He also shows up, or a variant thereof, in Lawhead's The Silver Hand.
              And don't forget Shakespeare's Twelfth Night (or is it the Merry Wives
              of Windsor???).

              Ted

              David wrote:

              > From: David <d-lena@...>
              >
              > And I think lots of others, including Diana Wynne Jones' _Dogsbody_, and depending on how you view it, Alexander's Prydain. I think there are a number of neo-Pagan fictional works with significant appearances as well, as Herne is often the god/male divinity in partnership with the Mother goddess, at least in the various
              > Gardnerian-like witchcraft traditions. Also the figure appears in many illustrations and paintings at SF con art shows.
              >
              > Cat Eldridge wrote:
              >
              > > From: Cat Eldridge <cat@...>
              > >
              > > >Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series is about the only fictional
              > > >reference I have found (which doesn't say a lot), and there he is known as
              > > >Herne, Master of the Wild Hunt.
              > >
              > > He also figures in Jane Yolen's The Wild Hunt, Charles de Lint's Greenmantle, Alan Garner's THe Moon of Gomrath, W. Harrison's Ainsworth's Herne the Hunter, Diane Daune's The Wizard Abroad, and Mildred Broxon's Too Long a Sacrifice. I suspect there are other novels with a herne the Hunter motif but those are the ones I know about.
              > >
              > > NR -- Brian McNeill's second busker novel, To Answer the Peacock, and Madeline L'Engle's Severed Wasp
              > > NP -- Pogues, Red Roses for Me

              > > Tired of missing calls while online? Now you can surf the Internet
              > > without worrying about missing important calls! CallWave's FREE
              > > Internet Answering Machine lets you hear who's calling while online.
              > Forever. If you have any desires to sell your products or services
              > online, or you want to expand your customer base for FREE, Come check
              > out Shabang!com FREE eStores!

              Dr. Theodore James Sherman
              Department of English, Box X041
              College of Liberal Arts
              Middle Tennessee State University
              Murfreesboro, TN 37130
              615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
              tsherman@...
              tedsherman@...
            • Madame K
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1 12:14 PM
                There is also Guy Gavriel Kay's excellent trilogy: The Fionavar Tapestry,
                which features the Wild Hunt and an Antlered God.

                Mary Jo Kapsalis