Bill Serjeant's books

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2004
      Many members will remember Bill Serjeant; we discussed his death here a
      while back. I recently had occasion to order Nevada Barr's _Mountain of
      Bones_ through interlibrary loan (it turned out to be the British and
      Canadian edition of her _Ill Wind_). But what was interesting was that my
      copy came from the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. It had Bill's
      signature on the front free endpaper, with his book plate beneath it.
      Below that was stamped "William A. S. Sergeant / Crime Fiction Collection".
      Actually, someone had slipped up and the book was stamped twice--the other
      stamp read "William A. S. Sergeant / Humour Collection". (Barr has a
      goodly amount of wit, but her books are not basically humor.) On the recto
      of the page was a plate reading "Ex Libris Universitatis Albertensis: Dr.
      William A. S. Serjeant Literature Collection". I suspect that there is a
      goodly collection of fantasy at the University of Alberta also, including
      the fantasies Bill wrote--and, as well, a geological book collection. It
      all seems to fitting memorial.

      --Joe