Re: [mythsoc] Allegory (was, Mouse takes on Lion)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2004
      I accept that Lewis and I are applying different usages of the word
      "allegory"; indeed, I knew that we had to be in order for him to deny
      that _LWW_ is a Christian allegory.

      But I don't want that to detract from the meaning of my original
      statement, which is that I "boldly" predict (i.e., consider it a pretty
      safe bet) that the Christian elements of Lewis's story, fundamental as
      they are, will nonetheless not survive the Disney filter; in precisely
      the way that the same elements in Tolkien's story did not survive
      Jackson and Boyen's "vision".

      Carl

      (Who also was a medievalist in college and has read more than his fair
      share of medieval allegories and considers _LWW_ as obviously
      allegorical as such canonical medieval allegories as _Pearl_ or _Piers
      Plowman_.)