ROTK Costume exhibit online

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2004
      http://www.fidm.com/features/gallery/hollywood-2004/return-of-the-king/index.h
      tml

      Some nice pix from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in LA.
      Be sure to click for the Virtual Tour.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
        My, that's pretty stuff! But then, I liked the movies better than many
        people here (mind you, even I didn't think RotK deserved a "Best Adapted
        Screenplay" Oscar -- yikes!). Do other people dislike the costumes as much as they
        dislike everything else about the films?

        I've been following the "voice of Aslan" thread. Although I hesitate to
        suggest it in this company, what about Rhys-Davies? I thought he was a credible
        voice-of-Treebeard, and might work for Aslan, too.

        Susan

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2004
          I thought the costumes were truly wonderful. I probably like the film
          better than most folks here too, though I will loudly detail my quibbles.
          Rhys-Davies is a good choice.

          BTW, I watched Viggo last night on Letterman, promoting *Hidalgo,* his
          newest film. He seemed to have the personality of a glass of skim milk.
          Can we say "blank slate?" Some actors seem to be like that; they have no
          personality until they become a character. ---djb

          My, that's pretty stuff! But then, I liked the movies better than many
          people here (mind you, even I didn't think RotK deserved a "Best Adapted
          Screenplay" Oscar -- yikes!). Do other people dislike the costumes as much
          as they
          dislike everything else about the films?

          I've been following the "voice of Aslan" thread. Although I hesitate to
          suggest it in this company, what about Rhys-Davies? I thought he was a
          credible
          voice-of-Treebeard, and might work for Aslan, too.

          Susan

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2004
            In a message dated 3/5/2004 8:26:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            dianejoy@... writes:

            "He seemed to have the personality of a glass of skim milk. Can we say
            "blank slate?" Some actors seem to be like that; they have no personality until
            they become a character."

            I agree -- and the reviews I've read so far have had great, gleeful fun
            skewering Hidalgo (Indiana Jones meets Seabiscuit).

            On the other hand, Mortensen isn't your average Hollywood pretty face. He's
            been outspoken about politics -- even if you don't agree with him, that takes
            a certain amount of courage and integrity -- and he's also a (so-so, IMHO)
            poet and (pretty good, from what I've seen) painter who's founded his own small
            press. He has a life, which many actors don't seem to!

            Susan

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
              In a message dated 3/4/2004 9:18:58 PM Central Standard Time,
              SusanPal@... writes:

              >Although I hesitate to suggest it in this company, what about Rhys-Davies?

              Nah, why should you hesitate? I liked his Gimli a lot; if he hadn't been
              given such asinine things to say and do in the script it would have been better
              of course.

              I also liked the costumes, mostly. The elven cloaks seemed not quite green
              enough, strong enough in weave, or magic enough :) - and the elven jewelry was
              disappointing, somehow. Even before I'd seen the merchandising of it. But
              the detail on armor and gauntlets and even minor details was impressive in its
              thoroughness.

              I did wonder whether such an active woman as Eowyn wd have run around with
              all those flowing sleeves and stuff, but it did look lovely on her...

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                In a message dated 3/6/2004 10:20:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                writes:

                "The elven cloaks seemed not quite green enough, strong enough in weave, or
                magic enough :) - and the elven jewelry was disappointing, somehow."

                I agree, but I think this may be one of those cases where it's nearly
                *impossible* to live up to readers' expectations. The whole point about anything
                Elvish is that it's more beautiful than mortals can conceive or even describe --
                which puts even the best human filmmakers at a distinct disadvantage.

                Susan

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                  In a message dated 3/6/2004 1:16:08 PM Central Standard Time,
                  SusanPal@... writes:

                  "I agree, but I think this may be one of those cases where it's nearly
                  *impossible* to live up to readers' expectations."

                  Exactly so :)

                • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                    The site is wonderful. Not just for LotR but many of the movies that
                    came out this year. Ngila Diskson's work on Last Samurai is also there,
                    and gorgeous.

                    I drool a lot <g>.

                    I do like what what was done with the costuming and armory and jewelry
                    on LotR. Ngila and the others did a good job of converting Tolkien's
                    words to apparel.

                    By the way, Eowyn moves around and deals with her sleeves the same way
                    all us medievalists do, She wears them flowy when she's being pretty and
                    ties them out of the way when being practical. I noticed on one dress
                    that they were tied back for a scene. The designs on her dresses were
                    the most earthlike practical middle ages feeling outfits.

                    Though I must admit, I like the elfs' outfits a lot and found an
                    interest pattern I may use to make a costume in the style of the movie
                    outfits. I've made enough Eowyn type outfits in my SCA days.

                    Personally, I liked the Elf jewelry. It was more organic, soft, flowing.
                    Almost like they had woven silver twigs. It looks like it belongs in an
                    early 1900s fantasy art piece. And since I have long hair, I have been
                    playing with the styles.

                    No, the cloaks weren't perfect, but they seemed as close as humanly
                    possible, and until the computer animated but looks real version comes
                    out, it will have to do. (When that comes out, we'll need an all Tolkien
                    all the Time channel, converting all of Tolkien's works slavishly, word
                    for word accurate. We can even do different peoples visions, since no
                    real actors will be harmed in the productions. I want to see Ted
                    Nasmith's version!)

                    Mythically yours,
                    Lisa
                  • SusanPal@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                      In a message dated 3/6/2004 6:28:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      lisa@... writes:

                      "Personally, I liked the Elf jewelry. It was more organic, soft, flowing.
                      Almost like they had woven silver twigs. It looks like it belongs in an
                      early 1900s fantasy art piece. And since I have long hair, I have been
                      playing with the styles."

                      All the Elvish stuff looks very pre-Raphaelite/Arts & Crafts Movement, with
                      maybe a touch of Art Deco thrown in. They might as well have had William
                      Morris doing the designs -- and I'm sure that was intentional.

                      Susan

                    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                        *sigh* Some times I KNOW old age is setting in.

                        That's who I was thinking of, but my mind was drawing a blank. And yes,
                        it was intentional. The Elfs were supposed to be Arts & Craft - the long
                        lean organic look. I noticed even in Tolkien's drawings of Elf stuff,
                        there is an Arts & Crafts type feel, so it was not unexpected.

                        Mythically yours,
                        Lisa