Tolkien's tradition

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 1999
      LeslieJ55@... [LeslieJ55@...] wrote:
      > Would be great if you could name the book, and tell us why they are not "in
      > the tradition" of Tolkien. "In the tradition of Tolkien" has become a
      > catchall phrase for publishers trying to push fantasy books for quite some
      > time now. Yet there really isn't a Tradition of Tolkien. Tolkien was very
      > unique in almost all of his work. The use of historical truth blended into

      I've often felt something similar regarding Tolkien: LOTR as much marked the
      death of the genre as the beginning, for no one can really expound upon what
      Tolkien achieved with LOTR. Instead, we just have a bunch of folks mimicking
      him to various degrees. Where fantasy as a genre has succeeded is not with the
      Tolk-clones, but with those works that *don't* try to mimic him, but do pay
      homage to his genius and the legacy he gave us. I think the collection (that
      was mentioned here on the list recently) "After the King" is good testament to
      this: the stronger works in the book are those that are *not* written "in the
      tradition of Tolkien" but that show the same sensitivity to myth that Tolkien
      had (something many of the Clones are missing, btw).

      "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
      even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
      the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner

      Currently reading: Song for the Basilisk by Patricia McKillip
    • LeslieJ55@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 1999
        In a message dated 2/25/99 12:46:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        mwinslow@... writes:

        > From: Matthew Winslow <mwinslow@...>
        >
        > LeslieJ55@... [LeslieJ55@...] wrote:
        > > Would be great if you could name the book, and tell us why they are not
        "
        > in
        > > the tradition" of Tolkien. "In the tradition of Tolkien" has become a
        > > catchall phrase for publishers trying to push fantasy books for quite
        some
        > > time now. Yet there really isn't a Tradition of Tolkien. Tolkien was
        > very
        > > unique in almost all of his work. The use of historical truth blended
        into

        > I've often felt something similar regarding Tolkien: LOTR as much marked
        the
        > death of the genre as the beginning, for no one can really expound upon
        what
        > Tolkien achieved with LOTR. Instead, we just have a bunch of folks
        mimicking
        > him to various degrees. Where fantasy as a genre has succeeded is not with
        > the
        > Tolk-clones, but with those works that *don't* try to mimic him, but do pay
        > homage to his genius and the legacy he gave us. I think the collection
        (that
        > was mentioned here on the list recently) "After the King" is good testament
        > this: the stronger works in the book are those that are *not* written "in
        > the
        > tradition of Tolkien" but that show the same sensitivity to myth that
        > Tolkien
        > had (something many of the Clones are missing, btw).
        >
        > --
        > Matthew Winslow mwinslow@... http://x-real.firinn.org/
        > "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
        > even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
        > the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner
        >
        > Currently reading: Song for the Basilisk by Patricia McKillip

        Matthew,
        The beauty of Tolkien's work is that he did not Try to write a Classic Epic
        story of any type. He wrote a story. Weaving historical scenes into
        imaginary myth. Telling a morality tale for anyone to understand. You don't
        set about to write a Classic.
        A book, piece of music, art, or whathaveyou becomes a Classic because it
        describes the Human experience. A classic is today, what it was yesterday,
        what it will be tomorrow. It STANDS. Whether fiction, or non-fiction, no
        matter what, it stands for humankinds longing for personal liberty, the
        ability to have a free thought, and the desire to be understood and respected.
        Fiction writing takes history and colors it with more subtleties and
        observations so that we can place ourselves in the roles without harming
        ourselves, and yet gain a better insight into our nature. The need for basic
        human rights and dignity. Basic moral values. It is in us. We seek it.
        Tolkien explores these with deep understanding and quite statement. Freeing
        us from our confines of normal earth experience and allowing us to see the
        vision of what could be, rather than always what is. Thus teaching true moral
        lessons across the board.

        for those loving short sweet discussion,what gives?

        LeslieJ55@...
        A hobbit returns