Re: [mythsoc] Mouse takes on Lion

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
      Not to mention -- though I will! -- concomitantly downplaying the
      importance of Faith and Providence, again as Jackson _et al._ did with
      _The Lord of the Rings_.

      C.S. Lewis's _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ is a clear
      Christian allegory. Here's betting that Disney's _LWW_ will be
      _nothing_ of the sort.

      Carl

      On Mar 3, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

      > Maybe they're trying to up the importance of war and battles, as Carl
      > pointed out Jackson et al did with The Lord of the Rings. Which would
      > really upset the balance of these stories.
      >
      > Janet
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
        I do hope the Disney folks understand the role of Aslan. He's key---and I
        hope they don't give him a syrupy voice, please God. ---djb >>

        What about that nice gentleman with the three names who did the old
        cellphone commercials?

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
          James Earl Jones...yup, great growly voice!

          Janet

          I do hope the Disney folks understand the role of Aslan. He's key---and
          hope they don't give him a syrupy voice, please God. ---djb >>

          What about that nice gentleman with the three names who did the old
          cellphone commercials?

          Lizzie Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Randall Eicher
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
            He was also the voice of Darth Vader

            Randall

            > James Earl Jones...yup, great growly voice!
            >
            > Janet

          • Margaret Dean
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
              "Carl F. Hostetter" wrote:

              > C.S. Lewis's _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ is a clear
              > Christian allegory. Here's betting that Disney's _LWW_ will be
              > _nothing_ of the sort.

              Come on now, Carl, you know better than that. =The Lion, the
              Witch, and the Wardrobe= is NOT an allegory. Lewis said it
              wasn't (he preferred to call it a "supposal"), and he, of all
              people, should know.

              --Margaret Dean
              <margdean@...>
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                Actually, I didn't know that Lewis made any such claim. At any rate,
                Aslan _is_ Christ, his sacrifice at the hands of Jadis _is_ The
                Crucifixion, etc., etc. That makes it a Christian allegory in my book.

                Carl

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 3/3/2004 11:54:05 AM Central Standard Time, Lizzie writes:

                  "What about that nice gentleman with the three names who did the old
                  cellphone commercials?"

                  Far as I know, James Earl Jones is still the voice-over of CNN.

                  Not sure this other guy is right for Aslan, but I love the voice of Dennis
                  Haysbert, currently appearing as President of the US in Fox's "24" and also in
                  commercials for Allstate Insurance. Lighter quality than JEJ, though.

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                    Oh, you mean the guy who voiced a certain lord of the Sith in a space
                    trilogy popular in the seventies? Hmmm. Now there's a thought. ---djb

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                      Actually, Haysbert's voice might be just right; it's possible to make
                      Aslan too growly, too. ---djb

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                        Actually, Haysbert's voice might be just right; it's possible to make
                        Aslan too growly, too. ---djb >>

                        True. And JEJ's voice is well known and associated with more than one
                        movie bad guy. I am not familiar with Haysbert though.

                        There's always Mel Gibson. He's already animated a rooster. lol

                        I haven't seen any of the Narnia movies that have been made, although I do
                        mean to. And I have always shared Ginger's concerns about movies anyway.

                        Lizzie Apgar Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia