RE: [mythsoc] Mouse takes on Lion

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
      Maybe they're trying to up the importance of war and battles, as Carl
      pointed out Jackson et al did with The Lord of the Rings. Which would
      really upset the balance of these stories.

      Janet

      From: Elizabeth Apgar Triano lizziewriter@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:33:41 -0500
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

      << " 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' has many fantasy elements,"
      Walden Media CEO Cary Granat said. "It is a film that has unbelievably
      great scenes for families, with four kids who leave a world consumed by
      war
      that they have no control over only to enter a world where a war is
      raging
      in which their actions are crucial to the outcome. It says a lot about
      empowerment and fractured families coming together." >>

      This paragraph struck me as something that could easily become a movie
      theme, but also one that would distance it from the usual thoughts on
      LWW.
      Do you think it's because they think that the religious sense is too
      pat,
      or not edgy enough, or what? Or is it that I, personally, didn't pick
      up
      enough on the war themes in the books? I wonder how unrecognizable they
      will make it.

      And I wonder if the Denver billionaire Anschutz is related to the
      submarine
      gyroscope people.

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
        Not to mention -- though I will! -- concomitantly downplaying the
        importance of Faith and Providence, again as Jackson _et al._ did with
        _The Lord of the Rings_.

        C.S. Lewis's _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ is a clear
        Christian allegory. Here's betting that Disney's _LWW_ will be
        _nothing_ of the sort.

        Carl

        On Mar 3, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

        > Maybe they're trying to up the importance of war and battles, as Carl
        > pointed out Jackson et al did with The Lord of the Rings. Which would
        > really upset the balance of these stories.
        >
        > Janet
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
          I do hope the Disney folks understand the role of Aslan. He's key---and I
          hope they don't give him a syrupy voice, please God. ---djb >>

          What about that nice gentleman with the three names who did the old
          cellphone commercials?

          Lizzie Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
            James Earl Jones...yup, great growly voice!

            Janet

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
              He was also the voice of Darth Vader

              Randall

              > James Earl Jones...yup, great growly voice!
              >
              > Janet

            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                "Carl F. Hostetter" wrote:

                > C.S. Lewis's _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ is a clear
                > Christian allegory. Here's betting that Disney's _LWW_ will be
                > _nothing_ of the sort.

                Come on now, Carl, you know better than that. =The Lion, the
                Witch, and the Wardrobe= is NOT an allegory. Lewis said it
                wasn't (he preferred to call it a "supposal"), and he, of all
                people, should know.

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                  Actually, I didn't know that Lewis made any such claim. At any rate,
                  Aslan _is_ Christ, his sacrifice at the hands of Jadis _is_ The
                  Crucifixion, etc., etc. That makes it a Christian allegory in my book.

                  Carl

                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                    In a message dated 3/3/2004 11:54:05 AM Central Standard Time, Lizzie writes:

                    "What about that nice gentleman with the three names who did the old
                    cellphone commercials?"

                    Far as I know, James Earl Jones is still the voice-over of CNN.

                    Not sure this other guy is right for Aslan, but I love the voice of Dennis
                    Haysbert, currently appearing as President of the US in Fox's "24" and also in
                    commercials for Allstate Insurance. Lighter quality than JEJ, though.

                    Diamond Proudbrook

                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                      Oh, you mean the guy who voiced a certain lord of the Sith in a space
                      trilogy popular in the seventies? Hmmm. Now there's a thought. ---djb

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                        Actually, Haysbert's voice might be just right; it's possible to make
                        Aslan too growly, too. ---djb

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                          Actually, Haysbert's voice might be just right; it's possible to make
                          Aslan too growly, too. ---djb >>

                          True. And JEJ's voice is well known and associated with more than one
                          movie bad guy. I am not familiar with Haysbert though.

                          There's always Mel Gibson. He's already animated a rooster. lol

                          I haven't seen any of the Narnia movies that have been made, although I do
                          mean to. And I have always shared Ginger's concerns about movies anyway.

                          Lizzie Apgar Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia