_Tolkien's Legendarium_

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2000
      List members may be interested to learn of the recent publication of
      a volume of essays on Tolkien, edited by Verlyn Flieger and myself
      and featuring contributions from a goodly number of Society members.
      This is _Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of
      Middle-earth_ (published by Greenwood Press). Its contents include:

      Part I - The History
      --------------------

      o "Early Days of Elder Days" by Rayner Unwin
      o "The Development of Tolkien's _Legendarium_: Some Threads in the
      Tapestry of Middle-earth" by Christina Scull
      o "'A Continuing and Evolving Creation': Distractions in the Later
      History of Middle-earth" by Wayne G. Hammond
      o "On the Construction of 'The Silmarillion'" by Charles E. Noad
      o "The Literary Value of _The History of Middle-earth_" by David Bratman

      Part II - The Languages
      -----------------------

      o "Gnomish Is Sindarin: The Conceptual Evolution of an Elvish Language"
      by Christopher Gilson
      o "_Certhas_, _Skirditaila_, _Futhark_: A Feigned History of Runic
      Origins" by Arden R. Smith
      o "Three Elvish Verse Modes: _Ann-thennath_, _Minlamad thent/estent_,
      and _Linnod_" by Patrick Wynne and Carl F. Hostetter

      Part III - The Cauldron and the Cook
      ------------------------------------

      o "Tolkien's Lyric Poetry" by Joe R. Christopher
      o "Some of Tolkien's Narrators" by Paul Edmund Thomas
      o "The Footsteps of �lfwine" by Verlyn Flieger
      o "_The Lost Road_, _The Dark Tower_, and _The Notion Club Papers_:
      Tolkien and Lewis's Time Travel Triad" by John D. Rateliff
      o "Gandalf and Odin" by Marjorie Burns
      o "T�rin's _Ofermod_: An Old English Theme in the Development of the
      Story of T�rin" by Richard C. West

      Appendix - "Christopher Tolkien: A Bibliography" by Douglas A. Anderson

      For more information, visit Greenwood's Web page for this book at:

      http://info.greenwood.com/books/0313305/0313305307.html

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |