Re: [mythsoc] SFSite Editorial On RotK and PJ

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
      Carl..
      I see you now presume to know not only what JRRT would think
      but also what
      I am thinking as well.
      I was not patronising you. If anyone in any of these
      discussions has been patronising,
      it's been you. You can couch it in whatever verbal refinery you
      want, but you
      have been snobby and condescending.
      I've tried to be polite, I've tried to be humorous. Obviously,
      any attempt to defend
      Jackson is to be sneered at by you. "Time to move on" was my
      recognition that
      no argument I could present would change that opinion. The original
      comment was
      my surrendering to that fact.
      Believe me, if I wanted you to "shut up" as you put it, I would
      not couch it in
      any vague phrasing, as anyone of my friends would tell you
      Unpatronizingly yours,
      Bill

      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      > Gee, thanks for informing me that I have a right to feel as I do. I
      > wouldn't have known otherwise.
      >
      > Of course, you don't seem really to mean what you say, since you then
      > go on to say, basically, that I should shut up ("move on", in your
      > euphemism).
      >
      > I really resent your patronizing tone.
      >
      > Carl
      >
      > On Mar 2, 2004, at 7:42 PM, Bill wrote:
      >
      > > It's your right to feel as you do Carl.
      > > I happen to agree with the editorial.
      > > The movies are made, the awards won.
      > > Time to move on.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
        <sigh> make that verbal finery.
        Although a case could be made for the existence of verbal refineries in
        classrooms, I suppose.
        Tiredly,
        Bill
        Bill wrote:

        > Carl..
        > I see you now presume to know not only what JRRT would think
        > but also what
        > I am thinking as well.
        > I was not patronising you. If anyone in any of these
        > discussions has been patronising,
        > it's been you. You can couch it in whatever verbal refinery you
        > want, but you
        > have been snobby and condescending.
        > I've tried to be polite, I've tried to be humorous. Obviously,
        > any attempt to defend
        > Jackson is to be sneered at by you. "Time to move on" was my
        > recognition that
        > no argument I could present would change that opinion. The original
        > comment was
        > my surrendering to that fact.
        > Believe me, if I wanted you to "shut up" as you put it, I would
        > not couch it in
        > any vague phrasing, as anyone of my friends would tell you
        > Unpatronizingly yours,
        > Bill

      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
          Bill, I don't have to know what you think; we _all_ can see what you
          _wrote_, which was (and is) textbook patronization.

          You presume that the only purpose of writing is to change opinion. This
          is false. I _expressed_ my opinion, and you expressed yours.

          The problem is that you are not content to leave it there, or to allow
          others to express their opinion when it is not favorably disposed
          towards Jackson's films, but instead engage in _ad hominem_ ("snobby",
          "condescending") and attempts to silence dissent ("move on"). I did
          nothing of the kind to you; why do you feel it is at all appropriate to
          treat me so shabbily?

          Carl