Mouse takes on Lion

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
      Walt Disney has announced that CS Lewis' _The Lion, the Witch, and
      the Wardrobe_ will be filmed, with "Shrek" director, Andrew Adamson,
      at the helm.

      http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/02/film.narnia.reut/index.ht
      ml

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
        << " 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' has many fantasy elements,"
        Walden Media CEO Cary Granat said. "It is a film that has unbelievably
        great scenes for families, with four kids who leave a world consumed by war
        that they have no control over only to enter a world where a war is raging
        in which their actions are crucial to the outcome. It says a lot about
        empowerment and fractured families coming together." >>

        This paragraph struck me as something that could easily become a movie
        theme, but also one that would distance it from the usual thoughts on LWW.
        Do you think it's because they think that the religious sense is too pat,
        or not edgy enough, or what? Or is it that I, personally, didn't pick up
        enough on the war themes in the books? I wonder how unrecognizable they
        will make it.

        And I wonder if the Denver billionaire Anschutz is related to the submarine
        gyroscope people.

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
          IIRC, the war was part of it, but rather incidental; the kids went to stay
          with Prof. Kirk in the country because there were bombings in London, and
          the adults wanted to put the kids in safer locations. Yet, there's no
          indication that the Pevensies were a "fractured" family. Indeed, the adult
          Pevensies don't appear at all, except as a mention that they were also in
          the railway accident in *Last Battle.*

          Edmund actually gets involved in the "war" in Narnia first, by falling in
          with the Witch. I don't say that there's no "war" in Narnia, but it seems
          more the ousting of a tyrant, which perhaps requires a war. But Aslan does
          much more than fight a war.

          I do hope the Disney folks understand the role of Aslan. He's key---and I
          hope they don't give him a syrupy voice, please God. ---djb

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Joshua Kronengold
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
            dianejoy@... writes:
            >I do hope the Disney folks understand the role of Aslan. He's key---and I
            >hope they don't give him a syrupy voice, please God. ---djb

            No, they should not.

            He is not, after all, a tame lion.

            --
            Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
            --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
              Maybe they're trying to up the importance of war and battles, as Carl
              pointed out Jackson et al did with The Lord of the Rings. Which would
              really upset the balance of these stories.

              Janet

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                Not to mention -- though I will! -- concomitantly downplaying the
                importance of Faith and Providence, again as Jackson _et al._ did with
                _The Lord of the Rings_.

                C.S. Lewis's _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ is a clear
                Christian allegory. Here's betting that Disney's _LWW_ will be
                _nothing_ of the sort.

                Carl

                On Mar 3, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

                > Maybe they're trying to up the importance of war and battles, as Carl
                > pointed out Jackson et al did with The Lord of the Rings. Which would
                > really upset the balance of these stories.
                >
                > Janet
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                  I do hope the Disney folks understand the role of Aslan. He's key---and I
                  hope they don't give him a syrupy voice, please God. ---djb >>

                  What about that nice gentleman with the three names who did the old
                  cellphone commercials?

                  Lizzie Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                    James Earl Jones...yup, great growly voice!

                    Janet

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                      He was also the voice of Darth Vader

                      Randall

                      > James Earl Jones...yup, great growly voice!
                      >
                      > Janet

                    • Margaret Dean
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                        "Carl F. Hostetter" wrote:

                        > C.S. Lewis's _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ is a clear
                        > Christian allegory. Here's betting that Disney's _LWW_ will be
                        > _nothing_ of the sort.

                        Come on now, Carl, you know better than that. =The Lion, the
                        Witch, and the Wardrobe= is NOT an allegory. Lewis said it
                        wasn't (he preferred to call it a "supposal"), and he, of all
                        people, should know.

                        --Margaret Dean
                        <margdean@...>
                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                          Actually, I didn't know that Lewis made any such claim. At any rate,
                          Aslan _is_ Christ, his sacrifice at the hands of Jadis _is_ The
                          Crucifixion, etc., etc. That makes it a Christian allegory in my book.

                          Carl

                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                            In a message dated 3/3/2004 11:54:05 AM Central Standard Time, Lizzie writes:

                            "What about that nice gentleman with the three names who did the old
                            cellphone commercials?"

                            Far as I know, James Earl Jones is still the voice-over of CNN.

                            Not sure this other guy is right for Aslan, but I love the voice of Dennis
                            Haysbert, currently appearing as President of the US in Fox's "24" and also in
                            commercials for Allstate Insurance. Lighter quality than JEJ, though.

                            Diamond Proudbrook

                          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                              Oh, you mean the guy who voiced a certain lord of the Sith in a space
                              trilogy popular in the seventies? Hmmm. Now there's a thought. ---djb

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                                Actually, Haysbert's voice might be just right; it's possible to make
                                Aslan too growly, too. ---djb

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                                  Actually, Haysbert's voice might be just right; it's possible to make
                                  Aslan too growly, too. ---djb >>

                                  True. And JEJ's voice is well known and associated with more than one
                                  movie bad guy. I am not familiar with Haysbert though.

                                  There's always Mel Gibson. He's already animated a rooster. lol

                                  I haven't seen any of the Narnia movies that have been made, although I do
                                  mean to. And I have always shared Ginger's concerns about movies anyway.

                                  Lizzie Apgar Triano
                                  lizziewriter@...
                                  amor vincit omnia