Woo Hoo A Clean Sweep!!!!!!

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1 8:24 PM
      Although I wasn't too fond of some of the changes Jackson and co. did to
      Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson did something which warmed my heart. I
      was watching my Supercar DVDs tonight (this is getting somewhere, stick
      with me...) and what do I find at the end but a featurette called
      "Director Peter Jackson's Tribute to Derek Meddings." Derek Meddings did
      special effects for Supercar and Thunderbirds (and I understand he won
      an Oscar for the Superman movie's special effects). So here's Peter
      Jackson standing among the artifacts made for the Lord of the Rings
      movies, saying how much he loves Thunderbirds and how Derek Meddings
      inspired him to be a director. He even has in his hands a model from the
      Thunderbirds series, knows exactly which episode it appeared in, and
      says that it has an honored spot in his WETA workshop.

      Here's where this is going: given all of this, I really, really wish
      that Peter Jackson had signed on to do the Thunderbirds movie instead of
      Lord of the Rings. If you think we Tolkien fans weren't happy with what
      Jackson did to LotR, you should read what Thunderbirds fans think of
      what Jonathan Frakes did to Thunderbirds (and this movie isn't out
      yet...August 2004 is the scheduled release date). Yeah, Jackson's track
      record shows that he would have changed Thunderbirds some, but I don't
      think he would have warped it quite as much as Frakes has, and I think I
      would have been fond of the result in some way (just as I'm fond of the
      Lord of the Rings movies in some way).

      Yes, indeed, Jackson changed LotR, but it could have been worse. A lot
      worse. Further, despite the changes in LotR I wasn't too fond of, there
      was a lot in those movies that I was fond of. On the whole, I'm content
      with Jackson getting his Oscar(s).

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
      See my Thunderbirds site: http://www.mobilecontrol.ws
    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 2 12:54 AM
        THe other songs in the category were not anywhere near as well known as Into
        the West. I personally liked the song well enough, but The Oscars have done
        this in the past, I mean picking a song ahead of time. I remember people
        saying when the film came out that it was a contender for best song, I don't
        recall that being said for any of the other nomines, just like with Chicago
        last year.