MCKELLAN TALKS LORDS OF RINGS

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2000
      MCKELLAN TALKS LORDS OF RINGS

      In addition to his new website section devoted to answering
      questions about The X-Men production, Ian McKellen has
      done likewise for the Lord of The Rings. McKellen answers
      a number of question, but particularly interesting is what he
      reveals about how he will be playing the character of
      Gandalf.

      or heard any previous dramatic interpretations of the books,
      McKellen reveals, "I have seen none of the adapted
      Tolkiens... The novels are the bible and I reference the
      relevant chapter as we film. Occasionally I have pointed out
      omissions to Fran and Philippa and they sigh because they
      know what they are doing and every cut in the story had to
      be justified. But they always respond positively to the little
      changes that help me as an actor. I mean like switching
      around a couple of words in a line to get the stress right for
      me, or slipping back in a Tolkien phrase that seems
      essentially Gandalfian."

      Regarding a question about the physical demands of the
      character as the story progresses, McKellen comments,
      "Oh dear I was enjoying these early days playing Gandalf's
      first entry into Hobbiton until you reminded me of the rigours
      ahead. The Balrog beckons! Don�t worry, film actors are well
      protected from too much exertion and I shall be only too
      happy to let a stunt double do anything that looks
      dangerous. Christopher Lee and I fight it out in Orthanc one
      day soon and Bob Anderson [Swordsmaster/Art Action
      Choreographer] has shown me the rudiments of battling with
      a quarterstaff. The only sort of fighting I enjoy is rehearsed
      fighting where no one gets hurt and no one gets angry."

      *Joan Marie Verba verba001@...*
      *Mythopoeic Press Secretary, Mythopoeic Society *
      *List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI *
      * and MNSCREENW lists *
      *http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *