Re: [mythsoc] Re: Woo Hoo A Clean Sweep!!!!!!

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1, 2004
      And on that account -- and _only_ that account -- I'm happy to see _The
      Return of the King_ take "Best Picture" (esp. as we all understand that
      the Oscar is for the whole series, in reality, not for _RotK_, which I
      felt was particularly noxious in terms of poor, cardboard-thin
      characterization, plot holes, bad editing, bad acting, and cheap
      mawkish sentimentalism), since I despise lazy prejudices such as that
      which said that fantasy films can never be worthy of Best Picture. I
      only wish that the film that broke this prejudice had actually been
      deserving in some measure other than ticket sales, and had been a
      better fantasy.

      Carl

    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 2, 2004
        THe other songs in the category were not anywhere near as well known as Into
        the West. I personally liked the song well enough, but The Oscars have done
        this in the past, I mean picking a song ahead of time. I remember people
        saying when the film came out that it was a contender for best song, I don't
        recall that being said for any of the other nomines, just like with Chicago
        last year.