Re: [mythsoc] Re: Woo Hoo A Clean Sweep!!!!!!

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1 8:03 AM
      I didn't watch the show, but am scratching my head over this quote

      Calling fantasy an ''f-word'' that he hoped would survive the show's
      five-second delay, Jackson thanked the Academy for seeing ''beyond the
      trolls,
      wizards, and hobbits.''

      I think I know what he meant, but: Trolls, wizards and hobbits... that's
      what
      it's all about, you ask me. >>

      Especially the wizards. OK the story is about the hobbit being the hero,
      but how can we not love Gandalf and his mystic romantic construction and
      curmudgeonly temperament?

      Many people liked the surfing-Legolas bits and other moments of elven
      acrobatics, but my favorite action shot is Gandalf with his sword and staff
      at Minas Tirith. Maybe because I knew my children would enjoy it, when
      they get to see the movie.

      But now I'm curious, so where did you see that quote? Jackson called
      fantasy an f-word, like what? like "truckin' fantasy" (so to speak) ? Why
      would he do that? From what I've seen, most of the production staff (or
      whatever you call the people behind a movie) are fantasy bookworms like
      many of us onlist, not anti-fantasy people. There is something strange
      about this, I'm scratching my head too. Is there a context issue here ?
      Or did he mean that those nonhumans could have been blocks for non-fantasy
      people?

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 2 12:54 AM
        THe other songs in the category were not anywhere near as well known as Into
        the West. I personally liked the song well enough, but The Oscars have done
        this in the past, I mean picking a song ahead of time. I remember people
        saying when the film came out that it was a contender for best song, I don't
        recall that being said for any of the other nomines, just like with Chicago
        last year.