Re: Woo Hoo A Clean Sweep!!!!!!

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1, 2004
      Jack wrote:

      > No, you can't. Only Tolkien can speak for himself.

      And so he did. The following is from Tolkien's letter
      to Forrest J. Ackerman, regarding "Mr. Zimmerman's"
      film treatment of _The Lord of the Rings_:

      "But I would ask [the screenwriters] to make an effort
      of imagination sufficient to understand the irritation
      (and on occasion the resentment) of an author, who
      finds, increasingly as he proceeds, his work treated as
      it would seem carelessly in general, in places recklessly,
      and with no evident signs of any appreciation of what it
      is all about. ...

      "The canons of narrative art in any medium cannot be
      wholly different; and the failure of poor films is often
      precisely in exaggeration, and in the intrusion of
      unwarranted matter owing to not perceiving where
      the core of the original lies."

      [Letters, pg. 270]

      Ring any bells for you?

      Tolkien might just as well have been writing about
      the Jackson films. And a reading of the full text of the
      Ackerman letter leaves one with no doubt that Tolkien
      would indeed have been appalled by Jackson's
      treatment of his novel.

      Winning Oscars does not _make_ Jackson's films
      good, any more than winning an Oscar made
      Marisa Tomei's performance in "My Cousin Vinny"
      anything other than an embarrassing cookie-cutter
      bimbo stereotype.

      -- Pat
    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 2, 2004
        THe other songs in the category were not anywhere near as well known as Into
        the West. I personally liked the song well enough, but The Oscars have done
        this in the past, I mean picking a song ahead of time. I remember people
        saying when the film came out that it was a contender for best song, I don't
        recall that being said for any of the other nomines, just like with Chicago
        last year.