Re: New Beowulf, other old things

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2000
      On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 ERATRIANO@... wrote:

      > So many peoples have lived in the British Isles, am I the only one who can't
      > keep their histories straight? The Picts and the Celts and the Anglos and so
      > on.... To me, Beowulf always feels more Germanic/Scandinavian than, uh,
      > should I say, Celtic/Gaelic? But I'm no scholar, and have forgotten half
      > what I ever knew.

      You are quite correct in noting this, and it is indeed confusing. If we
      were chatting in a long car trip, I could lay out the whole thing for
      you, but right now I have to go to work.

      Suffice to say that the English (the people who wrote _Beowulf_) were
      indeed not Celtic, like most of the previous known inhabitants of
      Britain, but Germanic, from the Continent: the area along the coasts of
      the northern Netherlands, northwestern Germany, and west Jutland (the
      mainland part of Denmark), apparently. "England" (and thus "English")
      derives from "Angle-land", the land of the Angles, one of the people who
      made up the amalgam of peoples who invaded Britain around 500 A.D. and
      who are also known as "Anglo-Saxons", Anglo- from Angles again, and
      Saxons being another people in the group, a name still found in Germany,
      part of which is called Saxony (and from which our Saxons probably came
      before they moved to the coast area mentioned above).

      The various Celts (and the Picts) are another matter entirely. No time
      right now, sorry.

      David Bratman
      -not responsible for the following advertisement-