Tolkien or Hobbit-themed party ideas....

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2004
      A number of Tolkien fan groups around the country have occasionally
      held Tolkien or hobbit themed parties, with fan activities like trivia
      quizes, or discussions, or especially food intended to replicate the
      "Hobbit" experience, Tolkien "filk-songs," costumes, etc. At the
      Rivendell Group's annual Baggins Birthday Party in September, we were
      joined by a woman who said that she was writing a book about such
      parties. I supposed that she meant more generically literary or other
      popularly cultured themed parties, but it turns out that the whole book
      is about Tolkien fan parties. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions
      that they might be willing to share with her. (And if she doesn't need
      them for her book, I'd be interested for my Baggins Birthday party
      web-page).

      She recently wrote to me (and gave me permission to share this request
      on the discussion list:)
      ****************
      Dear David Lenander,

      It's been awhile since I've written. I attended Bilbo's birthday party
      last September and have been working on the hobbit book. My book is
      near completion now, but I have a few odds and ends to tie up.

      [....]

      I am also looking for other Middle-earth mood music if you happen to
      know of any other things off-hand.

      [....]

      If you know of any other activities which should DEFINITELY take place
      at any respectable hobbit party, I would love to hear them. I have
      about 27 different kinds of Middle-earth parties written in the book so
      far.

      Thanks again for all your help and for letting me attend your hobbit
      party in September. After this book is done, I hope to do a book on
      Narnia parties.

      Sharin' Schroeder
      sschroeder@...
      ******************

      I presume that you could reply directly to her, offlist. I'd be happy
      to receive a cc, and I wouldn't post anything that she might use sans
      her permission. If you do copy me, let me know that it's all right to
      use anything that might need permission. (Ideas don't require
      permission, they're not copyrightable, but the expression of the ideas
      may be). Or people reading this list might be interested in the ideas,
      too.

      David Lenander / d-lena@... / (651) 292-8887
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113