Re: [mythsoc] Anna Lee Waldo

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
      > At 11:31 AM 2/24/2004 -0500, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      > >I would like to read a better version of this (Madoc) story later, but I
      > >believe there is a good bibliography in the back of this book.

      Madeleine L'Engle's _A Swiftly Tilting Planet_ touches at least briefly
      on the Madoc story.

      Julie
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
        Thanks, David and Julie. Actually I've read both those titles, but not
        recently. Worth a reread, and maybe John and Caitlin Matthews have written
        on it as well. I've enjoyed their books on Taliesin.

        Has anyone read this book, the Brenda/Madoc story by ALW, and might have a
        thought on why I'm finding it so choppy going? I am thinking it is related
        to inconsistencies of style. Would probably be an interesting session to
        dissect in a class.

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Deidre
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
          At 09:10 PM 2/24/04 +0000, David Bratman wrote:

          >At 11:31 AM 2/24/2004 -0500, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
          > >I would like to read a better version of this (Madoc) story later, but I
          > >believe there is a good bibliography in the back of this book.
          >
          >I'm not going to go so far as to call it "a better version," but you should
          >see if you can find Sanders Anne Laubenthal's _Excalibur_, which deals with
          >the Madoc story, and strongly echoes Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams, all in
          >the same novel. Published in 1973, long before the great fantasy pat boom,
          >it aroused a lot of interest in the MythSoc at the time. It's not very
          >good, but it is very interesting.

          This was first published by Ballantine in the Adult Fantasy line edited by
          the late Lin Carter, with a beautiful Gallardo cover, and later re-issued
          by Del Rey/Ballantine with a totally different cover, probably a Darrell K.
          Sweet (since he did a ton of covers for them in the late 70s and early
          80s). Try the local used bookstores, Ebay, or abebooks.com .

          HTH,
          Deidre
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004
            In a message dated 2/24/2004 7:43:40 PM Central Standard Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            >the great fantasy pat boom

            Pat?