ROTK and Anna Lee Waldo (unrelated topics)

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
      Hi all,

      We went away for a bit so I've been no mail for a while. But in the
      interim I finally saw the movie. There are a lot of battle scenes aren't
      there? My goodness. I still like the music. In fact, I would like to get
      a CD set of all the music. I know there have been posts disliking the
      music but chacun a son gout.

      Have I missed anything good in the new-books-pending-or-out department?

      I am reading Anna Lee Waldo's _Circle of Stones_ about Madoc who supposedly
      came to America around the turn of the millenium. It is agonizing reading
      somehow, perhaps it was her first ms, but there is a lot of Welsh peppered
      in the dialogue, which is fun. For those who can't place the name, she
      wrote a _Sacajawea_ that was a bestselling paperback maybe around 1980. I
      would like to read a better version of this (Madoc) story later, but I
      believe there is a good bibliography in the back of this book.

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
        At 11:31 AM 2/24/2004 -0500, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
        >I would like to read a better version of this (Madoc) story later, but I
        >believe there is a good bibliography in the back of this book.

        I'm not going to go so far as to call it "a better version," but you should
        see if you can find Sanders Anne Laubenthal's _Excalibur_, which deals with
        the Madoc story, and strongly echoes Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams, all in
        the same novel. Published in 1973, long before the great fantasy pat boom,
        it aroused a lot of interest in the MythSoc at the time. It's not very
        good, but it is very interesting.

        - David Bratman
      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
          > At 11:31 AM 2/24/2004 -0500, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
          > >I would like to read a better version of this (Madoc) story later, but I
          > >believe there is a good bibliography in the back of this book.

          Madeleine L'Engle's _A Swiftly Tilting Planet_ touches at least briefly
          on the Madoc story.

          Julie
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
            Thanks, David and Julie. Actually I've read both those titles, but not
            recently. Worth a reread, and maybe John and Caitlin Matthews have written
            on it as well. I've enjoyed their books on Taliesin.

            Has anyone read this book, the Brenda/Madoc story by ALW, and might have a
            thought on why I'm finding it so choppy going? I am thinking it is related
            to inconsistencies of style. Would probably be an interesting session to
            dissect in a class.

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Deidre
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
              At 09:10 PM 2/24/04 +0000, David Bratman wrote:

              >At 11:31 AM 2/24/2004 -0500, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
              > >I would like to read a better version of this (Madoc) story later, but I
              > >believe there is a good bibliography in the back of this book.
              >
              >I'm not going to go so far as to call it "a better version," but you should
              >see if you can find Sanders Anne Laubenthal's _Excalibur_, which deals with
              >the Madoc story, and strongly echoes Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams, all in
              >the same novel. Published in 1973, long before the great fantasy pat boom,
              >it aroused a lot of interest in the MythSoc at the time. It's not very
              >good, but it is very interesting.

              This was first published by Ballantine in the Adult Fantasy line edited by
              the late Lin Carter, with a beautiful Gallardo cover, and later re-issued
              by Del Rey/Ballantine with a totally different cover, probably a Darrell K.
              Sweet (since he did a ton of covers for them in the late 70s and early
              80s). Try the local used bookstores, Ebay, or abebooks.com .

              HTH,
              Deidre
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004
                In a message dated 2/24/2004 7:43:40 PM Central Standard Time,
                dbratman@... writes:

                >the great fantasy pat boom

                Pat?