[mythsoc] Dwarf tossing (was spotty review)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2004
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: marcfcs marcfcs@...
      Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:56:02 -0000
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: spotty review

      << Now, what I was referring to originally was a kind of post-romantic
      aesthetic that tends to favor works that are cynical, ironic, dark,
      violent, rough, horrible, etc. over works that are shall we say,
      pretty and romantic (I know that pretty is a bit of a biased word to
      use here, but I think it makes the point of what I am talking
      about). >>

      I would simply call this the default position in modern literary aesthetic.

      But I have to say that I couldn't long endure Thomas Covenant's eternal
      whining (made it through the first series, first book, and a third of the
      second book, same series), and have long used Andy Offutt's appellation:
      "Thomas Covenant, the Sniveler."

      That actually would be 1 of 2 things that really bothered me as
      suspension of disbelief shattering anachronisms in the movies. The
      other being when Theoden has his Oprah/hallmark moment about how
      parents should not outlive their children. Sounded way too modern
      to me.

      I had that same reaction to Theoden's remark myself. I hated the dwarf
      tossing references; I thought this particular "sport of kings" took place
      in Elizabethan England, though I don't know when or how I first made that
      association. Wasn't sure if it's a "sport" confined to Austrailia. ---djb

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • marcfcs
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2004
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:

        > I had that same reaction to Theoden's remark myself. I hated the
        dwarf
        > tossing references; I thought this particular "sport of kings"
        took place
        > in Elizabethan England, though I don't know when or how I first
        made that
        > association. Wasn't sure if it's a "sport" confined to
        Austrailia. ---djb

        I always though it was a just a 1980's bar fad that got a certain
        amount of media attention. It does seem sort of vaguely
        Elizabethen, though, now that you mention it(or at least the type of
        thing a more modern writer might choose to put in that time period).

        Regards,

        Marc
        marclists@...