University courses in _The Lord of the Rings_

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2004
      Can someone give me a list of universities that offer courses in _The Lord of
      the Rings_? Someone on a message board has asked this question and I'd like
      to reply to it. Give me as much detail as you easily can.

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 15, 2004
        Wheaton College in MASS does, Michael Drout.

        I do, sort of. I'm teaching ENGL 101 this semester, Understanding Literature, and my theme is "Epic", the semester is capped off in that the final four weeks are LoTR.

        Larry Swain

        > Can someone give me a list of universities that offer courses in _The Lord of
        > the Rings_? Someone on a message board has asked this question and I'd like
        > to reply to it. Give me as much detail as you easily can.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Ginger McElwee
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2004
          The only one I know of is the one at Rice University in Houston.

          Ginger McElwee

          "http://www.mythsoc.org"http://www.mythsoc.org
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Web-based SMS services available at HYPERLINK
          "http://www.operamail.com."http://www.operamail.com.
          From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

          Powered by Outblaze

          The Mythopoeic Society website HYPERLINK
          "http://www.mythsoc.org"http://www.mythsoc.org

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          HYPERLINK
          "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/my
          thsoc/

          HYPERLINK
          "mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"mythsoc-

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 16, 2004
            I just learned that OU will have a freshman seminar designed around The
            Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia this fall.

            Janet Brennan Croft

            Head of Access Services

            University of Oklahoma

            Bizzell Library NW104

            Norman OK 73019

            405-325-1918

            fax 405-325-7618

            jbcroft@...

            http://libraries.ou.edu/

            Hubris is stealing fire from the gods. Chutzpah is offering

            to sell it back.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 16, 2004
              Wendell,

              A colleague of mine in the English Department at Saint Vincent has offered a Special Topics course on Tolkien twice (and with enthusiastic response from students). My understanding is that he hopse to offer the course every other year on a regular basis.

              Matt

              Matthew A. Fisher
              Department of Chemistry
              Saint Vincent College
              300 Fraser Purchase Road
              Latrobe, PA 15650
              voice: 724-805-2356
              FAX: 724-537-4554
              matt.fisher@... <mailto:matt.fisher@...>
              http://facweb.stvincent.edu/Academics/Chemistry/fisher/index.html
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2004
                My alma mater, Virginia Tech, offered such a course when I was there in
                the mid '80s.

                And as you no doubt already know, Verlyn Flieger has given many courses
                on or including Tolkien at the University of Maryland.
              • Paul Labaki
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 17, 2004
                  --- WendellWag@... wrote:
                  > Can someone give me a list of universities that
                  > offer courses in _The Lord of
                  > the Rings_? Someone on a message board has asked
                  > this question and I'd like
                  > to reply to it. Give me as much detail as you
                  > easily can.
                  >
                  > Wendell Wagner

                  > removed]

                  Former Mythsoc member (maybe still with us) Dr. David
                  Greenman was teaching on Tolkien in the late 1980s at
                  Canisius College in Buffalo. I can't say if he still
                  is. His colleague, Frank Riga, had a course dedicated
                  to C.S. Lewis. This included others such as Tolkien
                  and MacDonald.

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • Larry Swain
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 17, 2004
                    Michael MacDonald at Seattle Pacific University used to have the occasional Lewis course, and of course the annual Summer Institute on the Inklings (not the official name) was there too.

                    Larry Swain

                    > > Can someone give me a list of universities that
                    > > offer courses in _The Lord of
                    > > the Rings_? Someone on a message board has asked
                    > > this question and I'd like
                    > > to reply to it. Give me as much detail as you
                    > > easily can.
                    > >
                    > > Wendell Wagner

                    > > removed]
                    > >

                    > Former Mythsoc member (maybe still with us) Dr. David
                    > Greenman was teaching on Tolkien in the late 1980s at
                    > Canisius College in Buffalo. I can't say if he still
                    > is. His colleague, Frank Riga, had a course dedicated
                    > to C.S. Lewis. This included others such as Tolkien
                    > and MacDonald.

                    From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

                    Powered by Outblaze
                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 17, 2004
                      Hope someone's compiling a master list of all these CSL and Tolkien
                      courses. Could prove useful. ---djb