Re: [mythsoc] Lothlorien passage question

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004
      Ted, as Haldir's statement seems to mean that the current power is
      sevenfold what it was when Sauron lived there, I'd presume it's an
      indication of how much stronger Sauron (and his minions) are now than they
      were 75 years before, when the enemy were driven out of Dol Guldur.

      - David Bratman
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004
        Thanks, David. I told my students that I figured some of the Nazgul had
        taken up residence there--I was just stymied by the "sevenfold" modifier.
        I'll pass this information along.

        ted
        Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:02:50 -0800
        From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
        Subject: Re: Lothlorien passage question

        At 04:54 PM 2/14/2004 -0800, Ted Sherman wrote:
        >A student of mine asked a question yesterday about a passage that I've
        never
        >thought about before. Haldir is pointing out to the Fellowship, sans
        Gandalf
        >of course, where Dol Guldur is in Southern Mirkwood. He says: "We fear that
        >now it is inhabited again, and with power sevenfold" (343, one-volme
        edition
        >w/ugly movie cover). Who would be inhabiting it? The Lord of the Nazgul,
        >Captain of the Nine? He's in Minas Morgul isn't he? And why is it
        inhabited,
        >they fear, with power sevenfold--does that sevenfold mean seven times worse
        >than the previous power, Sauron?

        According to Appendix B, ten years after being driven from Dol Guldur,
        Sauron declared himself openly in Mordor, and sent 3 Nazgul to reoccupy Dol
        Guldur. Obviously they weren't personally still there at the time Haldir
        speaks, but they had obviously been busy, because the Appendix mentions
        major battles in the War of the Ring between the forces of Dol Guldur, on
        the one side, and the Elves of Lorien and Mirkwood on the other. As the
        hobbits learn when they have to come home and scour the Shire, the events
        they've been involved in aren't the whole show, and here's yet more of it.

        "Three times Lorien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the
        valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too
        great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though
        grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were
        driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the
        host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and
        Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was
        cleansed."

        - David Bratman