Re: [mythsoc] Lothlorien passage question

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004
      At 04:54 PM 2/14/2004 -0800, Ted Sherman wrote:
      >A student of mine asked a question yesterday about a passage that I've never
      >thought about before. Haldir is pointing out to the Fellowship, sans Gandalf
      >of course, where Dol Guldur is in Southern Mirkwood. He says: "We fear that
      >now it is inhabited again, and with power sevenfold" (343, one-volme edition
      >w/ugly movie cover). Who would be inhabiting it? The Lord of the Nazgul,
      >Captain of the Nine? He's in Minas Morgul isn't he? And why is it inhabited,
      >they fear, with power sevenfold--does that sevenfold mean seven times worse
      >than the previous power, Sauron?

      According to Appendix B, ten years after being driven from Dol Guldur,
      Sauron declared himself openly in Mordor, and sent 3 Nazgul to reoccupy Dol
      Guldur. Obviously they weren't personally still there at the time Haldir
      speaks, but they had obviously been busy, because the Appendix mentions
      major battles in the War of the Ring between the forces of Dol Guldur, on
      the one side, and the Elves of Lorien and Mirkwood on the other. As the
      hobbits learn when they have to come home and scour the Shire, the events
      they've been involved in aren't the whole show, and here's yet more of it.

      "Three times Lorien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the
      valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too
      great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though
      grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were
      driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the
      host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and
      Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was
      cleansed."

      - David Bratman