Lothlorien passage question

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
      A student of mine asked a question yesterday about a passage that I've never thought about before. Haldir is pointing out to the Fellowship, sans Gandalf of course, where Dol Guldur is in Southern Mirkwood. He says: "We fear that now it is inhabited again, and with power sevenfold" (343, one-volme edition w/ugly movie cover). Who would be inhabiting it? The Lord of the Nazgul, Captain of the Nine? He's in Minas Morgul isn't he? And why is it inhabited, they fear, with power sevenfold--does that sevenfold mean seven times worse than the previous power, Sauron?

      I know there must be a probably simple answer, but it escapes me.

      Ted

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-2653
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004
        At 04:54 PM 2/14/2004 -0800, Ted Sherman wrote:
        >A student of mine asked a question yesterday about a passage that I've never
        >thought about before. Haldir is pointing out to the Fellowship, sans Gandalf
        >of course, where Dol Guldur is in Southern Mirkwood. He says: "We fear that
        >now it is inhabited again, and with power sevenfold" (343, one-volme edition
        >w/ugly movie cover). Who would be inhabiting it? The Lord of the Nazgul,
        >Captain of the Nine? He's in Minas Morgul isn't he? And why is it inhabited,
        >they fear, with power sevenfold--does that sevenfold mean seven times worse
        >than the previous power, Sauron?

        According to Appendix B, ten years after being driven from Dol Guldur,
        Sauron declared himself openly in Mordor, and sent 3 Nazgul to reoccupy Dol
        Guldur. Obviously they weren't personally still there at the time Haldir
        speaks, but they had obviously been busy, because the Appendix mentions
        major battles in the War of the Ring between the forces of Dol Guldur, on
        the one side, and the Elves of Lorien and Mirkwood on the other. As the
        hobbits learn when they have to come home and scour the Shire, the events
        they've been involved in aren't the whole show, and here's yet more of it.

        "Three times Lorien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the
        valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too
        great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though
        grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were
        driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the
        host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and
        Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was
        cleansed."

        - David Bratman