Tolkien translation article

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2004
      If you're interested in how Tolkien's names are translated into other
      languages, here's a citation that came across my desk this morning. It
      might be a little hard to obtain, since it's German:

      TI: Title
      Personal Names in Literary Translation. Using Examples from J. R.
      R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
      OT: Original Title
      Eigennamen in der literarischen Ubersetzung. Am Beispiel von J. R.
      R. Tolkiens The Lord of the Rings
      AU: Author
      Schowalter, Christine
      SO: Source
      Beitrage zur Fremdsprachenvermittlung, 2003, 41, 17-35
      IS: ISSN
      0171-4155
      CD: CODEN
      BFKSDJ
      AB: Abstract
      J. R. R. Tolkien's explanations of the principles guiding the
      creation & use of the names of persons & places in The Lord of the
      Rings (London, 1999) are quoted, & the rendition of some names in
      French & Spanish translations of the novel (no bibliographical
      information provided) is compared, including their possible
      semantic motivation. Translation procedures are discussed, drawing
      on Wolfram Wilss's (1977) & R. Stolze's (1997) classifications:
      borrowing, substitution, paraphrasing, calquing, transposition,
      modulation, & word-for-word translations are described. This
      typology is applied in comparing the treatment of the anthroponyms
      & toponyms from the English original in the German translations
      published in 1969/1970 & 1997, examining the appropriateness &
      effectiveness of individual translation techniques. The pros &
      cons of borrowing the original onomastic form vs rendering it
      according to motivational schemas in the target language are
      considered. 18 References. Z. Dubiel
      LA: Language
      German
      PY: Publication Year
      2003
      PT: Publication Type
      Journal Article (aja)
      CP: Country of Publication
      Germany, Republic of

      Janet Croft
    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
        This has already been discussed in Thomas Honegger's Translating Tolkien - Tolkien as Translator :

        1. A Question of Style: On Translating The Silmarillion into Norwegian, Nils Ivar Agøy.
        2. Begging your pardon, Con el perdón de usted: Some Socio-Linguistic Features in The Lord of the Rings in English and Spanish ; Sandra Bayona.
        3. Traduire Tolkien en français: On the Translation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Works into French and their Reception in France ; Vincent Ferré, Daniel Lauzon, David Riggs.
        4. The Westron Turned into Modern English: The Translator and Tolkien's Web of Languages ; Thomas Honegger
        5. Nine Rings for Russian Men Doomed to Die ; Mark T. Hooker
        6.The Treatment of Names in Esperanto Translations of Tolkien's Works ; Arden R. Smith.
        7. A Theoretical Model for Tolkien Translation Criticism ; Allan Turner.

        the second volume is to be published very soon : http://go.to/walkingtree

        Vincent

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2004
          There have also been useful articles on various aspects of this subject in
          the same Arden R. Smith's columns in the journal _Vingyar Tengwar_, edited
          by Carl Hostetter.

          - David Bratman