RE: [mythsoc] For your amazement and/or aggravation (hi there, Carl, Pat!)

  • Mari Dole
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2004
      Tolkien was a very fine a very fine artist, as the enduring popularity
      of his
      books testifies. But he was not as fine an artist as Peter Jackson is.

      No way! I've held off giving my opinion about the movies until now, but
      this statement finally pushed me over the edge. As a saying has it:
      "Never judge a book by its movie." I love the book, and I haven't yet
      heard (as I'm blind, it makes no sense to say seen) an adaptation which
      truly satisfies. A book, any book, asks one to use the imagination and
      is an active collaboration between the author and the reader. But this
      book, touching as it does the deepest mythic imagination, asks more than
      any film or radio drama could. No film compares, in my opinion, to the
      majesty and delight of the images conjured in the mind of the reader by
      a skilled author like Tolkien. Even the BBC radio production, which I
      love, left much to be desired, and that desire, is for me, only
      satisfied by reading and rereading the book.

      Yes, I have attended all three films, and I did not run screaming out of
      the theater (though I came close to it after the second one), but they
      will never replace the book in artistry! I'll calm down now and go
      reread a few favorite passages.

      Mari Dole