A retired academic looks at Jackson

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2004
      Here's a thoughtful article on the film series by an old college professor
      of mine:

      http://westbynorthwest.org/artman/publish/article_677.shtml

      Excerpt:
      "Despite the excessively warm sunset colors of the scene at the Grey Havens
      (Grey?!), I found the final farewells of hobbits, High Elves, and Wizard
      almost as satisfying as the reunion scene in Gondor. And even though the
      scenes in the Shire were all too short, the pleasure of seeing Sam
      transformed from tongue-tied yokel into confident man of action and of
      feeling the abiding love between Sam and Frodo was very great. But I am not
      sure how far the success of these scenes, for me, was due to the reflected
      glow of the same scenes in Tolkien´┐Żs book, rather than their own virtues.
      The response from those who have not read the book seems to be quite
      different, and much less favorable, than mine."
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2004
        I'd also recommend scanning down to the end and clicking on his review
        of "The Return of the King" for some very interesting observations on
        Gollum in particular.

        Janet

        Here's a thoughtful article on the film series by an old college
        professor
        of mine:

        http://westbynorthwest.org/artman/publish/article_677.shtml

        Excerpt:
        "Despite the excessively warm sunset colors of the scene at the Grey
        Havens
        (Grey?!), I found the final farewells of hobbits, High Elves, and Wizard
        almost as satisfying as the reunion scene in Gondor. And even though the
        scenes in the Shire were all too short, the pleasure of seeing Sam
        transformed from tongue-tied yokel into confident man of action and of
        feeling the abiding love between Sam and Frodo was very great. But I am
        not
        sure how far the success of these scenes, for me, was due to the
        reflected
        glow of the same scenes in Tolkien's book, rather than their own
        virtues.
        The response from those who have not read the book seems to be quite
        different, and much less favorable, than mine."

        Yahoo! Groups Links