Re: Green Man review links to us

  • Elizabeth R. Milner
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      Jack:
      You'll find the description you seek in the very last paragraph of
      our fine and noble Mythcon 35 Press Release:

      THE MYTHOPOEIC SOCIETY
      MYTHCON XXXIV

      For Immediate Release
      February 1, 2004
      Media Contacts:
       Marion VanLoo, Chair, Mythcon XXXV
      (517) 764-0897 / (517) 796-8623
      E-mail: mvanloo@...
       Liz Milner
      E-mail: lizmilner@...

      Hugo Award winning Writer, Neil Gaiman, Featured at Mythcon XXXV

      Neil Gaiman, the author of "Coraline," "Stardust," and "The Sandman"
      comics series, will be the Author Guest of Honor at Mythcon 35, which
      will be held from July 30-August 2 at the Michigan League at the
      University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.

      Gaiman is a bestselling author who writes comic books, fantasy,
      children's books, songs, and screenplays, and is known world-wide for
      his adult comic series "the Sandman," his novels "Stardust" (winner
      of the 1999 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult
      Literature), "Neverwhere" (finalist for the 1998 MFA for adult
      literature), "American Gods" (finalist for the 2002 MFA for adult
      literature), and his children's book "Coraline" (finalist for 2003
      MFA for Children's Literature). Visit his website at
      www.neilgaiman.com for more information about his many projects.

      Mythcon is an annual four-day conference that focuses on the works of
      the "Inklings" (J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams)
      and/or fantasy and mythic literature. Mythcons are attended by
      scholars, writers and readers of fantasy literature.. The theme of
      this year's conference is "Bridges to Other Worlds: 35 Years of
      Mythopoeic Scholarship." In addition to Neil Gaiman, Scholar Guest
      of Honor Charles Huttar will be on hand to trace the history of
      invented myths. Dr. Huttar won the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in
      Inklings Studies twice, for "Word and Story in C.S. Lewis," and
      for "The Rhetoric of Vision: Essays on Charles Williams."
      Activities include papers, panel discussions, readings,
      entertainment, an art show and dealers' room, a banquet, awards
      presentations, Bardic Circles, food sculpture and Golfimbul.

      Mythcon Organizers promise that this year's conference will
      present "our usual Mythcon mix of good scholarship, good fellowship,
      and fun."

      To register for Mythcon or to obtain information on Conference
      accommodations, please visit the Mythopoeic Society Web Site,
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon35.html, or e-mail Marion P. VanLoo,
      Mythcon Chair at mvanloo@... .
      ###
      The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
      organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of
      fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R.
      Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. For further information on
      the Mythopoeic Society, please visit the Web Site,
      http://www.mythsoc.org

      -Liz (still the prettiest)

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jack <jack@g...> wrote:
      > >On the Greenman site, "What's New Section,
      > >http://www.greenmanreview.com/whats_new.html " the following text
      > >contains a link to our website:
      > >
      > >Given our liking of all things Tolkien, it shouldn't surprise you
      > >that we've reviewed more books on Tolkien and his work than anyone
      > >else short of the Mythopoeic Society! And it's worth noting some
      of
      > >the Tolkien-themed books that we've received recently for review:
      > >Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf, Wayne Hammond and Christina
      > >Schull's J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illlustrator, Brian Sibley and
      John
      > >Howe's The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth, and Paul Simpson's The
      > >Rough Guide to The Lord of the Rings are but a taste of what's
      come
      > >into the mailroom as of late."
      > >
      > >I suspect thanks to Jack are in order.
      >
      > Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of
      the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
      > Resources page.
      >
      > Now reading -- James Stoddard's The High House
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        Perfect! Thanks kindly!
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
          To Jack and everyone else on the list -

          The Bit from the website and the bottom of the MC35 Press Release are
          variants on our legal description that we used for that 501(c)3 we
          mention periodically.

          Copied direct from the Bylaws -
          I. TITLE AND PURPOSE

          The name of this organization shall be the Mythopoeic Society.

          The Mythopoeic Society shall be a literary and educational organization,
          devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of myth, fantasy, and
          imaginative literature, and especially to the works of J. R. R. Tolkien,
          C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams. The Society shall be based on the
          idea that these authors provide both an excellent introduction to and a
          fundamental understanding of this entire genre of literature.

          From the MC 35 Press Release -

          The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
          organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of
          fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R.
          Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. For further information on
          the Mythopoeic Society, please visit the Web Site,
          http://www.mythsoc.org

          So long as you keep it close, we have no problems with you using it to
          describe us. Just spell our name right <g>.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Treasurer, The Mythopoeic Society.

          PS And yes Liz you are very pretty <g>. Just make sure Sam doesn't get
          jeolous!

          Jack wrote:

          >Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
          >Resources page.

        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
            Joan Marie Verba [verba001@...] wrote:
            > Try Matthew Winslow, who's a steward and co-coordinator of the mythsoc
            > web site. (He's also on this list.)

            Yep, but I see Lisa already beat me to the punch.

            "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
            --Jorge Luis Borges
            Currently reading: Silverlock by John Myers Myers