Re: [mythsoc] Green Man review links to us

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      >That's Christina _Scull_, of course.

      Will be fixed within a few hours by our proofers who missed it obviously. Sorry!
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        Jack wrote:

        > Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
        > Resources page.

        There's one at the top of the mythsoc.org website....

        Joan
        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
          >There's one at the top of the mythsoc.org website....

          And who can grant permission to re-use it?
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
            Jack wrote:

            > >There's one at the top of the mythsoc.org website....
            >
            > And who can grant permission to re-use it?

            Try Matthew Winslow, who's a steward and co-coordinator of the mythsoc
            web site. (He's also on this list.)

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Elizabeth R. Milner
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
              Jack:
              You'll find the description you seek in the very last paragraph of
              our fine and noble Mythcon 35 Press Release:

              THE MYTHOPOEIC SOCIETY
              MYTHCON XXXIV

              For Immediate Release
              February 1, 2004
              Media Contacts:
               Marion VanLoo, Chair, Mythcon XXXV
              (517) 764-0897 / (517) 796-8623
              E-mail: mvanloo@...
               Liz Milner
              E-mail: lizmilner@...

              Hugo Award winning Writer, Neil Gaiman, Featured at Mythcon XXXV

              Neil Gaiman, the author of "Coraline," "Stardust," and "The Sandman"
              comics series, will be the Author Guest of Honor at Mythcon 35, which
              will be held from July 30-August 2 at the Michigan League at the
              University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.

              Gaiman is a bestselling author who writes comic books, fantasy,
              children's books, songs, and screenplays, and is known world-wide for
              his adult comic series "the Sandman," his novels "Stardust" (winner
              of the 1999 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult
              Literature), "Neverwhere" (finalist for the 1998 MFA for adult
              literature), "American Gods" (finalist for the 2002 MFA for adult
              literature), and his children's book "Coraline" (finalist for 2003
              MFA for Children's Literature). Visit his website at
              www.neilgaiman.com for more information about his many projects.

              Mythcon is an annual four-day conference that focuses on the works of
              the "Inklings" (J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams)
              and/or fantasy and mythic literature. Mythcons are attended by
              scholars, writers and readers of fantasy literature.. The theme of
              this year's conference is "Bridges to Other Worlds: 35 Years of
              Mythopoeic Scholarship." In addition to Neil Gaiman, Scholar Guest
              of Honor Charles Huttar will be on hand to trace the history of
              invented myths. Dr. Huttar won the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in
              Inklings Studies twice, for "Word and Story in C.S. Lewis," and
              for "The Rhetoric of Vision: Essays on Charles Williams."
              Activities include papers, panel discussions, readings,
              entertainment, an art show and dealers' room, a banquet, awards
              presentations, Bardic Circles, food sculpture and Golfimbul.

              Mythcon Organizers promise that this year's conference will
              present "our usual Mythcon mix of good scholarship, good fellowship,
              and fun."

              To register for Mythcon or to obtain information on Conference
              accommodations, please visit the Mythopoeic Society Web Site,
              http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon35.html, or e-mail Marion P. VanLoo,
              Mythcon Chair at mvanloo@... .
              ###
              The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
              organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of
              fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R.
              Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. For further information on
              the Mythopoeic Society, please visit the Web Site,
              http://www.mythsoc.org

              -Liz (still the prettiest)

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jack <jack@g...> wrote:
              > >On the Greenman site, "What's New Section,
              > >http://www.greenmanreview.com/whats_new.html " the following text
              > >contains a link to our website:
              > >
              > >Given our liking of all things Tolkien, it shouldn't surprise you
              > >that we've reviewed more books on Tolkien and his work than anyone
              > >else short of the Mythopoeic Society! And it's worth noting some
              of
              > >the Tolkien-themed books that we've received recently for review:
              > >Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf, Wayne Hammond and Christina
              > >Schull's J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illlustrator, Brian Sibley and
              John
              > >Howe's The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth, and Paul Simpson's The
              > >Rough Guide to The Lord of the Rings are but a taste of what's
              come
              > >into the mailroom as of late."
              > >
              > >I suspect thanks to Jack are in order.
              >
              > Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of
              the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
              > Resources page.
              >
              > Now reading -- James Stoddard's The High House
            • Jack
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                Perfect! Thanks kindly!
              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                  To Jack and everyone else on the list -

                  The Bit from the website and the bottom of the MC35 Press Release are
                  variants on our legal description that we used for that 501(c)3 we
                  mention periodically.

                  Copied direct from the Bylaws -
                  I. TITLE AND PURPOSE

                  The name of this organization shall be the Mythopoeic Society.

                  The Mythopoeic Society shall be a literary and educational organization,
                  devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of myth, fantasy, and
                  imaginative literature, and especially to the works of J. R. R. Tolkien,
                  C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams. The Society shall be based on the
                  idea that these authors provide both an excellent introduction to and a
                  fundamental understanding of this entire genre of literature.

                  From the MC 35 Press Release -

                  The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
                  organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of
                  fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R.
                  Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. For further information on
                  the Mythopoeic Society, please visit the Web Site,
                  http://www.mythsoc.org

                  So long as you keep it close, we have no problems with you using it to
                  describe us. Just spell our name right <g>.

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Treasurer, The Mythopoeic Society.

                  PS And yes Liz you are very pretty <g>. Just make sure Sam doesn't get
                  jeolous!

                  Jack wrote:

                  >Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
                  >Resources page.

                • Matthew Winslow
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
                    Joan Marie Verba [verba001@...] wrote:
                    > Try Matthew Winslow, who's a steward and co-coordinator of the mythsoc
                    > web site. (He's also on this list.)

                    Yep, but I see Lisa already beat me to the punch.

                    "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
                    --Jorge Luis Borges
                    Currently reading: Silverlock by John Myers Myers