Re: [mythsoc] Green Man review links to us

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      >On the Greenman site, "What's New Section,
      >http://www.greenmanreview.com/whats_new.html " the following text
      >contains a link to our website:
      >
      >Given our liking of all things Tolkien, it shouldn't surprise you
      >that we've reviewed more books on Tolkien and his work than anyone
      >else short of the Mythopoeic Society! And it's worth noting some of
      >the Tolkien-themed books that we've received recently for review:
      >Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf, Wayne Hammond and Christina
      >Schull's J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illlustrator, Brian Sibley and John
      >Howe's The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth, and Paul Simpson's The
      >Rough Guide to The Lord of the Rings are but a taste of what's come
      >into the mailroom as of late."
      >
      >I suspect thanks to Jack are in order.

      Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
      Resources page.

      Now reading -- James Stoddard's The High House
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        Liz wrote:

        >Given our liking of all things Tolkien, it shouldn't surprise you
        >that we've reviewed more books on Tolkien and his work than anyone
        >else short of the Mythopoeic Society! And it's worth noting some of
        >the Tolkien-themed books that we've received recently for review:
        >Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf, Wayne Hammond and Christina
        >Schull's J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illlustrator

        That's Christina _Scull_, of course.

        Wayne
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
          >That's Christina _Scull_, of course.

          Will be fixed within a few hours by our proofers who missed it obviously. Sorry!
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
            Jack wrote:

            > Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
            > Resources page.

            There's one at the top of the mythsoc.org website....

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Jack
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
              >There's one at the top of the mythsoc.org website....

              And who can grant permission to re-use it?
            • Joan Marie Verba
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                Jack wrote:

                > >There's one at the top of the mythsoc.org website....
                >
                > And who can grant permission to re-use it?

                Try Matthew Winslow, who's a steward and co-coordinator of the mythsoc
                web site. (He's also on this list.)

                Joan
                Joan Marie Verba
                verba001@...
              • Elizabeth R. Milner
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Jack:
                  You'll find the description you seek in the very last paragraph of
                  our fine and noble Mythcon 35 Press Release:

                  THE MYTHOPOEIC SOCIETY
                  MYTHCON XXXIV

                  For Immediate Release
                  February 1, 2004
                  Media Contacts:
                   Marion VanLoo, Chair, Mythcon XXXV
                  (517) 764-0897 / (517) 796-8623
                  E-mail: mvanloo@...
                   Liz Milner
                  E-mail: lizmilner@...

                  Hugo Award winning Writer, Neil Gaiman, Featured at Mythcon XXXV

                  Neil Gaiman, the author of "Coraline," "Stardust," and "The Sandman"
                  comics series, will be the Author Guest of Honor at Mythcon 35, which
                  will be held from July 30-August 2 at the Michigan League at the
                  University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.

                  Gaiman is a bestselling author who writes comic books, fantasy,
                  children's books, songs, and screenplays, and is known world-wide for
                  his adult comic series "the Sandman," his novels "Stardust" (winner
                  of the 1999 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult
                  Literature), "Neverwhere" (finalist for the 1998 MFA for adult
                  literature), "American Gods" (finalist for the 2002 MFA for adult
                  literature), and his children's book "Coraline" (finalist for 2003
                  MFA for Children's Literature). Visit his website at
                  www.neilgaiman.com for more information about his many projects.

                  Mythcon is an annual four-day conference that focuses on the works of
                  the "Inklings" (J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams)
                  and/or fantasy and mythic literature. Mythcons are attended by
                  scholars, writers and readers of fantasy literature.. The theme of
                  this year's conference is "Bridges to Other Worlds: 35 Years of
                  Mythopoeic Scholarship." In addition to Neil Gaiman, Scholar Guest
                  of Honor Charles Huttar will be on hand to trace the history of
                  invented myths. Dr. Huttar won the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in
                  Inklings Studies twice, for "Word and Story in C.S. Lewis," and
                  for "The Rhetoric of Vision: Essays on Charles Williams."
                  Activities include papers, panel discussions, readings,
                  entertainment, an art show and dealers' room, a banquet, awards
                  presentations, Bardic Circles, food sculpture and Golfimbul.

                  Mythcon Organizers promise that this year's conference will
                  present "our usual Mythcon mix of good scholarship, good fellowship,
                  and fun."

                  To register for Mythcon or to obtain information on Conference
                  accommodations, please visit the Mythopoeic Society Web Site,
                  http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon35.html, or e-mail Marion P. VanLoo,
                  Mythcon Chair at mvanloo@... .
                  ###
                  The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
                  organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of
                  fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R.
                  Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. For further information on
                  the Mythopoeic Society, please visit the Web Site,
                  http://www.mythsoc.org

                  -Liz (still the prettiest)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Perfect! Thanks kindly!
                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                      To Jack and everyone else on the list -

                      The Bit from the website and the bottom of the MC35 Press Release are
                      variants on our legal description that we used for that 501(c)3 we
                      mention periodically.

                      Copied direct from the Bylaws -
                      I. TITLE AND PURPOSE

                      The name of this organization shall be the Mythopoeic Society.

                      The Mythopoeic Society shall be a literary and educational organization,
                      devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of myth, fantasy, and
                      imaginative literature, and especially to the works of J. R. R. Tolkien,
                      C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams. The Society shall be based on the
                      idea that these authors provide both an excellent introduction to and a
                      fundamental understanding of this entire genre of literature.

                      From the MC 35 Press Release -

                      The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
                      organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of
                      fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R.
                      Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. For further information on
                      the Mythopoeic Society, please visit the Web Site,
                      http://www.mythsoc.org

                      So long as you keep it close, we have no problems with you using it to
                      describe us. Just spell our name right <g>.

                      Mythically yours,
                      Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                      Treasurer, The Mythopoeic Society.

                      PS And yes Liz you are very pretty <g>. Just make sure Sam doesn't get
                      jeolous!

                      Jack wrote:

                      >Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
                      >Resources page.

                    • Matthew Winslow
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
                        Joan Marie Verba [verba001@...] wrote:
                        > Try Matthew Winslow, who's a steward and co-coordinator of the mythsoc
                        > web site. (He's also on this list.)

                        Yep, but I see Lisa already beat me to the punch.

                        "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
                        --Jorge Luis Borges
                        Currently reading: Silverlock by John Myers Myers