New Beowulf

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 28, 2000
      This comes from one of my mundane news lists. First, they
      mentioned it! Second, they have some excerpts if you want to go
      look.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      *** New 'Beowulf' edition released

      NEW YORK (AP) - In the United States it's been one of those books
      you
      had to read for English lit. But in Britain it's hotter than
      Harry
      Potter. It's topped the best-seller list and won the high-profile

      Whitbread Prize, beating out J.K. Rowling herself. So will U.S.
      readers catch "Beowulf" fever? This week, Farrar, Straus & Giroux
      is
      releasing a new edition of the epic Anglo-Saxon poem, written
      more
      than a thousand years ago. Translated by Nobel Prize-winning poet

      Seamus Heaney, "Beowulf" has sold more than 50,000 copies in
      Britain
      and already has reached the Top 20 on Amazon.com, virtually
      unheard
      of for a work of poetry. See
      http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564571433-58c
      ***
      Excerpts from new 'Beowulf' edition, see
      http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564571434-e7d
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 28, 2000
        Oh yeah, Dad said he'd save me the Sunday book review from the New York
        Times, had a write up yesterday. Can't wait to see. Kinda like, not again,
        but OTOH, kinda like, oooh what have they done now? ggg

        How about some reworkings of Egil's Saga?

        And some antlered lord tales. Why is this figure so elusive?

        Lizzie
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 28, 2000
          Well, I went to the translation section and I do know some Old English (I took
          it in college many years ago). What I read seemed good. He did give the
          translation a nice poetic flow and did translate everything, so you don't need
          to know Old English at all. But he did keep in mind the original meanings of the
          words and so kept true to the story. And he seems to keep the words in the right
          order. I could go back to the original and find the words I knew and piece
          together how he did his translation. So if you know a smattering of Old English,
          although it won't teach you the language, you could use it as an aide.

          Mind you, this is only for the bit they had in the article. The translation may
          be completely botched in other spots. Though, since it was a big hit in England,
          I doubt it. The English know and love their Beowulf.

          Since this one has done so well in England, may be they will translate some of
          the other Old Stories? I'd like to see them too.

          Mythically yours,

          Lisa

          ERATRIANO@... wrote:

          > From: ERATRIANO@...
          >
          > Oh yeah, Dad said he'd save me the Sunday book review from the New York
          > Times, had a write up yesterday. Can't wait to see. Kinda like, not again,
          > but OTOH, kinda like, oooh what have they done now? ggg
        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 28, 2000
            Well, I can tell you that in the international community of Old English
            scholars, there is a great deal of discussion (and often heated) about
            Heaney's translation. One of the problems for us academics is that
            Heaney apparently knows little OE. Beowulf is probably the most complex
            work of OE poetry, not to mention the longest piece, so one really must
            be proficient in the language to understand the subtle nuances of the
            poem.

            For the record, however; I am quite pleased that the book is getting
            such good press. Perhaps it will turn folks back to Beowulf and we'll
            see a resurgence of students interested in medieval studies in the
            universities. (Sure would make my job more enjoyable!)

            Yours,

            Ted

            PS: Mythlore Issue 85, Volume 22, Number 3 is with the mailing agent and
            should be in the mail beginning tomorrow.

            Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

            > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
            >
            > Well, I went to the translation section and I do know some Old English (I took
            > it in college many years ago). What I read seemed good. He did give the
            > translation a nice poetic flow and did translate everything, so you don't need
            > to know Old English at all. But he did keep in mind the original meanings of the
            > words and so kept true to the story. And he seems to keep the words in the right
            > order. I could go back to the original and find the words I knew and piece
            > together how he did his translation. So if you know a smattering of Old English,
            > although it won't teach you the language, you could use it as an aide.
            >
            > Mind you, this is only for the bit they had in the article. The translation may
            > be completely botched in other spots. Though, since it was a big hit in England,
            > I doubt it. The English know and love their Beowulf.
            >
            > Since this one has done so well in England, may be they will translate some of
            > the other Old Stories? I'd like to see them too.
            >
            > Mythically yours,
            >
            > Lisa
            >
            > ERATRIANO@... wrote:
            >
            > > From: ERATRIANO@...
            > >
            > > Oh yeah, Dad said he'd save me the Sunday book review from the New York
            > > Times, had a write up yesterday. Can't wait to see. Kinda like, not again,
            > > but OTOH, kinda like, oooh what have they done now? ggg

            > Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets you
            > see, consolidate, and manage all of your finances all in one place.

            Dr. Theodore James Sherman
            Department of English, Box X041
            College of Liberal Arts
            Middle Tennessee State University
            Murfreesboro, TN 37130
            615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
            tsherman@...
            tedsherman@...
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 28, 2000
              On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

              > Since this one has done so well in England, may be they will translate some of
              > the other Old Stories? I'd like to see them too.

              The sad fact is that there's nothing else like Beowulf in Old English
              literature, and we almost didn't have Beowulf, either: it survives in a
              single manuscript of unknown provenance, which almost burned in a fire
              some 400-500 years ago, long before it was adequately transcribed.

              There probably were other great Old English epics that _didn't_ survive,
              of which we have only tiny surviving hints: Wayland the Smith, for
              instance. It was because the English didn't have an Edda, or a
              Nibelungenlied, or an Odyssey or Aeneid, or a Charlemagne cycle, that
              Tolkien decided to make one up on his own.

              (As for why the English are so bereft, that permits of a three-word
              oversimpliciation for an answer: the Norman Conquest.)

              David Bratman
            • Steve Schaper
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 28, 2000
                At 10:52 PM -0500 2/28/00, David S. Bratman wrote:
                >From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>
                >
                >On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:
                >
                >> Since this one has done so well in England, may be they will
                >>translate some of
                >> the other Old Stories? I'd like to see them too.
                >
                >The sad fact is that there's nothing else like Beowulf in Old English
                >literature, and we almost didn't have Beowulf, either: it survives in a
                >single manuscript of unknown provenance, which almost burned in a fire
                >some 400-500 years ago, long before it was adequately transcribed.
                >
                >There probably were other great Old English epics that _didn't_ survive,
                >of which we have only tiny surviving hints: Wayland the Smith, for
                >instance.
                There are some nice fragments from the School of Cynewulf, but
                nothing like Beowulf.

                ====================================
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                sschaper@...
                members.delphi.com/sschaper/web/sschaper.html
                ====================================
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                  In a message dated 02/28/2000 7:28:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  lisa@... writes:

                  << He did give the
                  translation a nice poetic flow and did translate everything >>
                  Is it alliterative?

                  Lizzie
                • Ted Sherman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                    "David S. Bratman" wrote:

                    > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>
                    >
                    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:
                    >
                    > > Since this one has done so well in England, may be they will translate some of
                    > > the other Old Stories? I'd like to see them too.
                    >
                    > The sad fact is that there's nothing else like Beowulf in Old English
                    > literature, and we almost didn't have Beowulf, either: it survives in a
                    > single manuscript of unknown provenance, which almost burned in a fire
                    > some 400-500 years ago, long before it was adequately transcribed.

                    Well, it depends on what you mean by "like Beowulf." OE literature
                    contains many great work, some short and some long. Beowulf is sui
                    generis in terms of its matter; that is, aside from the one surviving
                    manuscript of Beowulf, there are no other stories of Beowulf the Geat.
                    We do have, at the very least, other references to such great Germanic
                    heroes and characters as Siegfried and Sigemund, Attila and Gudrun,
                    Welund and Walter, Finn and Hengist; but there's only one story that
                    mentions Beowulf. BTW, the Beowulf manuscript was damaged in the great
                    fire in 1731 at Ashburnam House, and other manuscripts were destroyed
                    and/or nearly destroyed. One of the current projects at the British
                    LIbrary is to recover the texts--via UV photography with a Kontron
                    camera--contained in some of those burnt mss.

                    > There probably were other great Old English epics that _didn't_ survive,
                    > of which we have only tiny surviving hints: Wayland the Smith, for
                    > instance. It was because the English didn't have an Edda, or a
                    > Nibelungenlied, or an Odyssey or Aeneid, or a Charlemagne cycle, that
                    > Tolkien decided to make one up on his own.

                    Well, England did have its own cycle: the Arthurian cycle. (I know that
                    some/much of the Arthurian material comes from France.) Beowulf is
                    England's Nibelungenlied, and it antedates the Nibelungenlied by at
                    least 175 years. The Brut by Layamon could easily be viewed as England's
                    Odyssey or Aeneid, especially the latter (since it kind of takes up
                    where the Aeneid stops).

                    > (As for why the English are so bereft, that permits of a three-word
                    > oversimpliciation for an answer: the Norman Conquest.)

                    Actually, the Norman Conquest is only partially responsible; the main
                    culprits, really, are the Vikings and Henry VIII. When the Vikings began
                    invading in the late 8th century, they sacked and destroyed monasteries
                    and the monastic libraries. It's a miracle that the two greatest OE
                    manuscripts, The Lindisfarne Gospels and the Book of Kells, still
                    survive. In 1536/38 Henry dissolved the monasteries and confiscated
                    them; one of the results was the dispersal of many of the monastic
                    libraries as well as the destruction of the monasteries and their
                    medieval sculptures and stained-glass windows. That's why the Ruthwell
                    Cross--which contains a 7th-8th century runic inscription of portions of
                    the great OE elegy "The Dream of the Rood"--is broken and the
                    inscription so weather damaged. The reformers, following Henry, cast
                    down the cross and left it to weather away. It wasn't until the 19th
                    century that it was put back together (though with part missing) and
                    placed in a chapel.

                    Another BTW: the English don't really value Beowulf as much as the press
                    might lead one to believe. In the past few decades Beowulf and other
                    areas of Anglo-Saxon culture (as in the culture in Britain from c.
                    450-1066) have gradually been removed from the curriculum, so that now
                    relatively few students actually study Beowulf. Also, for the Whitbread
                    Prize, which Heaney's translation won, the vote was split: five judges
                    voted for Beowulf and four for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of
                    Azkhaban. Two different versions of Heaney's Beowulf are now available
                    in the US: a straight translation as well as a copy with Beowulf in OE
                    and Heaney's translation on facing pages.

                    Ted

                    --
                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                      In a message dated 2/29/00 9:12:51 AM Central Standard Time,
                      tedsherman@... writes:

                      > Also, for the Whitbread
                      > Prize, which Heaney's translation won, the vote was split: five judges
                      > voted for Beowulf and four for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of
                      > Azkhaban.

                      Hmm! What exactly does the Whitbread Prize reward?

                      What a combo. I won't say "from the sublime to the ridiculous," for I quite
                      like Harry, but there =is= a disproportion here.
                    • Ted Sherman
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                        The Whitbread is for, if I remember correctly, best book of the year in
                        England.

                        Ted

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                          On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Ted Sherman wrote:

                          > "David S. Bratman" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The sad fact is that there's nothing else like Beowulf in Old English
                          > > literature, and we almost didn't have Beowulf, either: it survives in a
                          > > single manuscript of unknown provenance, which almost burned in a fire
                          > > some 400-500 years ago, long before it was adequately transcribed.
                          >
                          > Well, it depends on what you mean by "like Beowulf." OE literature
                          > contains many great work, some short and some long. Beowulf is sui
                          > generis in terms of its matter; that is, aside from the one surviving
                          > manuscript of Beowulf, there are no other stories of Beowulf the Geat.

                          When I wrote that there is nothing else like Beowulf in OE literature, I
                          didn't mean just that there were no other versions of the story of the
                          man Beowulf. There are some great short poems in OE, but I know of no
                          other works of creative art in that language remotely comparable to it in
                          combination of length and quality. If you do, I would like to know of them.

                          > Well, England did have its own cycle: the Arthurian cycle. (I know that
                          > some/much of the Arthurian material comes from France.)

                          For Tolkien, the Arthurian cycle didn't count. He said it was
                          imperfectly naturalized, by which he meant not so much that a great deal
                          of what we think of as Arthurian comes from Chretien and other French
                          romancers, but that the whole retains a Celtic air: it isn't English, and
                          he wanted something English.

                          > The Brut by Layamon could easily be viewed as England's
                          > Odyssey or Aeneid, especially the latter (since it kind of takes up
                          > where the Aeneid stops).

                          A good point, though the Brut is of course not Old English but Middle
                          English. It's not the only English work that is in a sense a sequel to
                          the Aeneid (which certainly seems to have had more of a hold on the
                          British imagination than it does on mine): Geoffrey of Monmouth's History
                          (in Latin, unfortunately for the sake of OE literature) also ties in to
                          the Aeneid, and doesn't "Gawain and the Green Knight" start off with some
                          references to the Odyssey/Aeneid period? (I don't have a copy here to
                          check.)

                          > > (As for why the English are so bereft, that permits of a three-word
                          > > oversimpliciation for an answer: the Norman Conquest.)
                          > >
                          > Actually, the Norman Conquest is only partially responsible; the main
                          > culprits, really, are the Vikings and Henry VIII.

                          As I said, an oversimplification. While the Vikings and H8 did the
                          destruction, they and others like them destroyed many more ancient
                          manuscripts, in many languages in many times and places, than they ever
                          let survive. What's the fault of the Norman Conquest is that there
                          weren't _more (and later) copies_, a few of which might have survived.
                          (The Vikings didn't help much there either.)

                          David Bratman
                          -not responsible for the following advertisement-
                        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                            In a message dated 02/29/2000 11:43:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                            Stolzi@... writes:

                            << for I quite
                            like Harry, but there =is= a disproportion here. >>
                            Yes, an interesting assortment. I just started Harry the other day. what
                            fun!

                            Lizzie
                          • David Lenander
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                              Yes, I agree with you, Mary. I'm dubious about the necessity of rewarding
                              Heaney's translation of Beowulf, for that matter. The news report I saw said
                              that in part the award recognizes popularity. Personally, I think such an
                              award is pretty silly. The financial reward and popularity ought to be reward
                              enough, and I don't especially begrudge Harry Potter the popularity, but I
                              think awards to call our attention to lesser-known but worthwhile works make
                              more sense. And today is the deadline for e-mailing nominations to Ellie
                              Farrell for the Mythopoeic Scholarship and Fantasy Awards.

                              This morning in the car we were listening to Jane Yolen's _Wizard's Hall_ on an
                              audiotape. Quite similar in some respects to Harry Potter, it's a earlier book
                              that hasn't had near the the notice or readers. I don't know if the story is
                              any better than Harry Potter, it's much shorter and not so breakneck in pacing,
                              and probably written for slightly younger readers, but it is told with more
                              finesse, grace and style by a writer who has mastered her craft on a level
                              towards which Rowlings is still climbing. Quite different from Harry Potter
                              but likewise worthy of more readers are such past winners of the MFA as Diana
                              Wynne Jones' _Dark Lord of Derkholm_ (last year's children's division winner)
                              and Jane Yolen's "Young Merlin" trilogy (winner the year before). Dark Lord
                              seemed to me as much fun as Harry Potter, but much more complex and
                              interesting, and while "Young Merlin" is not a lot of fun, it's strikingly
                              beautiful in its spare, poetic prose and story construction, and full of action
                              in a story that is probably shorter--in all three volumes--than any one of the
                              Harry Potter books. Both of these books are probably aimed at somewhat older
                              readers than Harry Potter's target audience. In saying this, by the way, I'm
                              not disparaging Harry Potter, which I enjoyed, at least the first two books
                              that I've read (my 10-year old daughter and most of her class at school have
                              avidly read all three).

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                                Just to keep this on topic (for those who are unaware), Tolkien was
                                Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford (and wasn't he also later
                                Rawlinson Professor when at Merton?).

                                "David S. Bratman" wrote:

                                > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>
                                >
                                > When I wrote that there is nothing else like Beowulf in OE literature, I
                                > didn't mean just that there were no other versions of the story of the
                                > man Beowulf. There are some great short poems in OE, but I know of no
                                > other works of creative art in that language remotely comparable to it in
                                > combination of length and quality. If you do, I would like to know of them.

                                The so-called Caedmonian poems--Genesis (A and B), Exodus, Daniel,
                                Azarias; the Cynewulf poems--Elene, the Fates of the Apostles, Andreas,
                                etc.--as well as Judith (the other poetic piece in Cotton Vitellius
                                A.xv, the Beowulf manuscript): these are all "remotely comparable" in
                                length and quality. The key word, obviously, is "remotely." Then there's
                                some of the fragmentary pieces: Battle of Maldon (simply glorious) and
                                the Finnsbug Fragment.

                                > > Well, England did have its own cycle: the Arthurian cycle. (I know that
                                > > some/much of the Arthurian material comes from France.)
                                >
                                > For Tolkien, the Arthurian cycle didn't count. He said it was
                                > imperfectly naturalized, by which he meant not so much that a great deal
                                > of what we think of as Arthurian comes from Chretien and other French
                                > romancers, but that the whole retains a Celtic air: it isn't English, and
                                > he wanted something English.

                                Yes, I knew Tolkien didn't count the Arthurian cycle because of its
                                non-native elements as well as its "Celtic air." The problem, however,
                                is with the whole notion of how to define "English." The English
                                are/were an amalgam of native British (read Celtic), Roman soldier
                                immigrants, Germanic invaders, Norse and French invaders, etc. The
                                Celtic air is in the atmosphere of England, just as the Germanic air and
                                French air are.

                                > > The Brut by Layamon could easily be viewed as England's
                                > > Odyssey or Aeneid, especially the latter (since it kind of takes up
                                > > where the Aeneid stops).
                                >
                                > A good point, though the Brut is of course not Old English but Middle
                                > English. It's not the only English work that is in a sense a sequel to
                                > the Aeneid (which certainly seems to have had more of a hold on the
                                > British imagination than it does on mine): Geoffrey of Monmouth's History
                                > (in Latin, unfortunately for the sake of OE literature) also ties in to
                                > the Aeneid, and doesn't "Gawain and the Green Knight" start off with some
                                > references to the Odyssey/Aeneid period? (I don't have a copy here to
                                > check.)

                                Good point, David, about the Brut being in ME, but keep in mind that
                                there isn't a clear break between Old and Middle English. And much
                                material now in OE was originally written in Latin: Bede's History,
                                Nennius, Gildas, etc.

                                > > > (As for why the English are so bereft, that permits of a three-word
                                > > > oversimpliciation for an answer: the Norman Conquest.)
                                > > >
                                > > Actually, the Norman Conquest is only partially responsible; the main
                                > > culprits, really, are the Vikings and Henry VIII.
                                >
                                > As I said, an oversimplification. While the Vikings and H8 did the
                                > destruction, they and others like them destroyed many more ancient
                                > manuscripts, in many languages in many times and places, than they ever
                                > let survive. What's the fault of the Norman Conquest is that there
                                > weren't _more (and later) copies_, a few of which might have survived.
                                > (The Vikings didn't help much there either.)

                                Again, I don't know (and I could easily be wrong) that the Norman
                                Conquest is the cause for there not being more and later copies of much
                                OE material. The Normans didn't necessarily lay waste to the monasteries
                                and scriptoria in their conquest of England; they did, however, replace
                                English abbots and bishops with French ones.

                                What the Norman Conquest really did was the screw up the language and
                                spelling of English; but that's another topic.

                                Ted

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                                  On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Ted Sherman wrote:

                                  > Just to keep this on topic (for those who are unaware), Tolkien was
                                  > Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford (and wasn't he also later
                                  > Rawlinson Professor when at Merton?).

                                  Rawlinson _and_ Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, 1925-45,
                                  after which he was Merton Professor of English Language and Literature
                                  (also at Oxford, but attached specifically to Merton College); in the
                                  latter job he worked mostly on Middle English literature.

                                  > > When I wrote that there is nothing else like Beowulf in OE literature, I
                                  > > didn't mean just that there were no other versions of the story of the
                                  > > man Beowulf. There are some great short poems in OE, but I know of no
                                  > > other works of creative art in that language remotely comparable to it in
                                  > > combination of length and quality. If you do, I would like to know of them.
                                  > >
                                  > The so-called Caedmonian poems--Genesis (A and B), Exodus, Daniel,
                                  > Azarias; the Cynewulf poems--Elene, the Fates of the Apostles, Andreas,
                                  > etc.--as well as Judith (the other poetic piece in Cotton Vitellius
                                  > A.xv, the Beowulf manuscript): these are all "remotely comparable" in
                                  > length and quality. The key word, obviously, is "remotely." Then there's
                                  > some of the fragmentary pieces: Battle of Maldon (simply glorious) and
                                  > the Finnsbug Fragment.

                                  I know the last two, and they're very short (though good), and I thought
                                  Cynewulf's poems were short too. Exodus (which I also know slightly,
                                  because Tolkien wrote about it) is much longer, but it's a retelling of
                                  the Bible story, so perhaps it doesn't count. (OTOH, who's to say that
                                  Beowulf isn't a retelling of something lost? It probably is, come to that.)

                                  > Yes, I knew Tolkien didn't count the Arthurian cycle because of its
                                  > non-native elements as well as its "Celtic air." The problem, however,
                                  > is with the whole notion of how to define "English." The English
                                  > are/were an amalgam of native British (read Celtic), Roman soldier
                                  > immigrants, Germanic invaders, Norse and French invaders, etc. The
                                  > Celtic air is in the atmosphere of England, just as the Germanic air and
                                  > French air are.

                                  Dorothy Sayers liked to make that point: that the English were not only a
                                  mongrel nation, they were uniquely proud of it. That's not how Tolkien
                                  viewed things, though. He felt there was a pure Anglo-Saxon strain which
                                  he wished to isolate. As Americans, with our melting pot, we're used to
                                  things being naturalized as soon as they step off the boat. Many
                                  Europeans view things differently (one reason for the xenophobic politics
                                  that look so strange to us). "How many years does it take to make a
                                  steward a king, if the king return not?" "Few years, maybe, in other
                                  lands. In Gondor ten thousand years would not suffice."

                                  > Good point, David, about the Brut being in ME, but keep in mind that
                                  > there isn't a clear break between Old and Middle English. And much
                                  > material now in OE was originally written in Latin: Bede's History,
                                  > Nennius, Gildas, etc.

                                  A fairly clear break, I think, as far as creative literature is concerned,
                                  there being a long gap without much except the Ancrene Wisse, which I
                                  believe is clearly ME, though certainly early ME. As for the Latin
                                  stuff, precisely because it's in Latin it's not OE literature in the
                                  language sense, except insofar as the translations are literature.
                                  (Which they are: after all, King Alfred translated Boethius, who wasn't
                                  English by nationality let alone language, and that's considered a
                                  masterpiece of OE literature.)

                                  > Again, I don't know (and I could easily be wrong) that the Norman
                                  > Conquest is the cause for there not being more and later copies of much
                                  > OE material. The Normans didn't necessarily lay waste to the monasteries
                                  > and scriptoria in their conquest of England; they did, however, replace
                                  > English abbots and bishops with French ones.

                                  I didn't mean that the Normans destroyed things, but by taking over and
                                  putting the cultured use of the English language on ice for a couple
                                  hundred years, they severely reduced the impetus to make more copies.
                                  Considering how very few manuscript copies were made of anything
                                  pre-Gutenberg, in any country, and how very fewer of them survived the
                                  vicissitudes of the centuries, any marginal difference can be vitally
                                  important.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                                    In a message dated 2/29/00 12:34:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    tedsherman@... writes:

                                    > The Whitbread is for, if I remember correctly, best book of the year in
                                    England.

                                    To be more precise, there are Whitbread awards for best novel, best first
                                    novel, best biography, best book of poetry, and best children's book. Each
                                    of them is worth 2000 pounds, except for children's book, which is worth
                                    10,000 pounds. There is also an overall award chosen from the winners, which
                                    is the book of the year, and this wins 21,000 pounds in addition.

                                    Whitbread, which sponsors the award, is one of the biggest breweries in
                                    England.

                                    See

                                    http://www.whitbread-bookawards.co.uk/

                                    for more information.

                                    Wendell Wagner
                                  • Ted Sherman
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 29, 2000
                                      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

                                      > > some of the fragmentary pieces: Battle of Maldon (simply glorious) and
                                      > > the Finnsbug Fragment.
                                      >
                                      > I know the last two, and they're very short (though good), and I thought
                                      > Cynewulf's poems were short too. Exodus (which I also know slightly,
                                      > because Tolkien wrote about it) is much longer, but it's a retelling of
                                      > the Bible story, so perhaps it doesn't count. (OTOH, who's to say that
                                      > Beowulf isn't a retelling of something lost? It probably is, come to that.)

                                      The Battle of Maldon is approximately 350 lines, whereas the Finnsburg
                                      fragment is only about 35-40. Why wouldn't a retelling of a Bible story
                                      count? Genesis B contains material based on Genesis, but it also
                                      contains material that John Milton likely used in Paradise Lost. It's as
                                      literary as one can get. Refashioning earlier texts was common
                                      throughout the Anglo-Saxon period--and later.

                                      > > Yes, I knew Tolkien didn't count the Arthurian cycle because of its
                                      > > non-native elements as well as its "Celtic air." The problem, however,
                                      > > is with the whole notion of how to define "English." The English
                                      > > are/were an amalgam of native British (read Celtic), Roman soldier
                                      > > immigrants, Germanic invaders, Norse and French invaders, etc. The
                                      > > Celtic air is in the atmosphere of England, just as the Germanic air and
                                      > > French air are.
                                      >
                                      > Dorothy Sayers liked to make that point: that the English were not only a
                                      > mongrel nation, they were uniquely proud of it. That's not how Tolkien
                                      > viewed things, though. He felt there was a pure Anglo-Saxon strain which
                                      > he wished to isolate. As Americans, with our melting pot, we're used to
                                      > things being naturalized as soon as they step off the boat. Many
                                      > Europeans view things differently (one reason for the xenophobic politics
                                      > that look so strange to us). "How many years does it take to make a
                                      > steward a king, if the king return not?" "Few years, maybe, in other
                                      > lands. In Gondor ten thousand years would not suffice."

                                      Frankly, I don't see the point of the latter quotations. JRRT might have
                                      wished to isolate a "pure Anglo-Saxon strain" but he needn't have tried.
                                      There wasn't one. Just when the "English" did begin to develop into
                                      their own people and own country, they would be disturbed from Outside.
                                      Those disturbances came from the Vikings, the Normans, and later the
                                      Flemish, Italians, Dutch, etc., from the late Middle Ages on. King
                                      Alfred was probably the closest one could come to a "pure Anglo-Saxon"
                                      but his entire life--almost--was spent confronting the Danes.

                                      > > Good point, David, about the Brut being in ME, but keep in mind that
                                      > > there isn't a clear break between Old and Middle English. And much
                                      > > material now in OE was originally written in Latin: Bede's History,
                                      > > Nennius, Gildas, etc.
                                      >
                                      > A fairly clear break, I think, as far as creative literature is concerned,
                                      > there being a long gap without much except the Ancrene Wisse, which I
                                      > believe is clearly ME, though certainly early ME. As for the Latin
                                      > stuff, precisely because it's in Latin it's not OE literature in the
                                      > language sense, except insofar as the translations are literature.
                                      > (Which they are: after all, King Alfred translated Boethius, who wasn't
                                      > English by nationality let alone language, and that's considered a
                                      > masterpiece of OE literature.)

                                      No, not really. There is much early creative material, it's just not
                                      very popular today, nor is it studied or read much because of its
                                      didactic and hagiographic elements. There are early ballads and lyrics,
                                      and a few of the romances (Havelock the Dane comes to mind) are rather
                                      early. Alfred's Boethius is considered a masterpiece of OE literature
                                      precisely because Alfred rendered it into English. Just as Bede's
                                      History is a masterpiece. There are also the riddles, chronicles,
                                      saints' lives and numerous other works that were translated into OE that
                                      are masterpieces of OE prose and/or poetry.

                                      BTW, when I mentioned the break between OE and ME, I was referring more
                                      to the language. Parts of the island probably retained OE well into the
                                      late 12th century, if not the early 13th. The earliest datable document
                                      in ME is the entry for the year 1135 in the Peterborough Chronicle of
                                      the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

                                      > > Again, I don't know (and I could easily be wrong) that the Norman
                                      > > Conquest is the cause for there not being more and later copies of much
                                      > > OE material. The Normans didn't necessarily lay waste to the monasteries
                                      > > and scriptoria in their conquest of England; they did, however, replace
                                      > > English abbots and bishops with French ones.
                                      >
                                      > I didn't mean that the Normans destroyed things, but by taking over and
                                      > putting the cultured use of the English language on ice for a couple
                                      > hundred years, they severely reduced the impetus to make more copies.
                                      > Considering how very few manuscript copies were made of anything
                                      > pre-Gutenberg, in any country, and how very fewer of them survived the
                                      > vicissitudes of the centuries, any marginal difference can be vitally
                                      > important.

                                      But copies were being made in the ME period; just look at one of the
                                      volumes in the Index of Middle English Verse to see how many works were
                                      copied. There are numerous copies of Monmouth's History, and they were
                                      all copied in the ME period. There are redactions and redactions of
                                      numerous works, making the lives of us textual editors interesting.
                                      Again, while numerous manuscripts and tales/poetry undoubtedly were
                                      destroyed during the centuries, it is quite amazing, really, that we
                                      have the number of manuscripts that do survive from the OE and ME
                                      periods.

                                      Ted
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
                                        In a message dated 2/28/00 6:43:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                        ERATRIANO@... writes:

                                        > And some antlered lord tales. Why is this figure so elusive?

                                        Huh?
                                      • David S. Bratman
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                          On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Ted Sherman wrote:

                                          > Why wouldn't a retelling of a Bible story
                                          > count? Genesis B contains material based on Genesis, but it also
                                          > contains material that John Milton likely used in Paradise Lost. It's as
                                          > literary as one can get. Refashioning earlier texts was common
                                          > throughout the Anglo-Saxon period--and later.

                                          I expect because it's not fully naturalized, as Tolkien said of the
                                          Arthurian material. Whether it's a re-telling doesn't count. You'd have
                                          to ask Tolkien, really; he, not I, was the one who originally said there
                                          was no real Anglo-Saxon mythology, and surely these major OE texts didn't
                                          just slip his mind.

                                          > > He felt there was a pure Anglo-Saxon strain which
                                          > > he wished to isolate. As Americans, with our melting pot, we're used to
                                          > > things being naturalized as soon as they step off the boat. Many
                                          > > Europeans view things differently (one reason for the xenophobic politics
                                          > > that look so strange to us). "How many years does it take to make a
                                          > > steward a king, if the king return not?" "Few years, maybe, in other
                                          > > lands. In Gondor ten thousand years would not suffice."
                                          > >
                                          > Frankly, I don't see the point of the latter quotations. JRRT might have
                                          > wished to isolate a "pure Anglo-Saxon strain" but he needn't have tried.
                                          > There wasn't one. Just when the "English" did begin to develop into
                                          > their own people and own country, they would be disturbed from Outside.
                                          > Those disturbances came from the Vikings, the Normans, and later the
                                          > Flemish, Italians, Dutch, etc., from the late Middle Ages on. King
                                          > Alfred was probably the closest one could come to a "pure Anglo-Saxon"
                                          > but his entire life--almost--was spent confronting the Danes.

                                          The point of the quotation is that, by analogy, mere residence in a
                                          country doesn't make one part of an ethnic group. What you say shows
                                          that there was no time when the Anglo-Saxons had Britain quietly all to
                                          themselves. This is reflected in LOTR when Frodo bristles at the notion
                                          of the Nazgul wandering around in his own Shire. "But it is not your own
                                          Shire," says Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others
                                          will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all
                                          about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it
                                          out."

                                          So you can't write about hobbits without including their relationship
                                          with other peoples, and indeed Tolkien doesn't. But that doesn't make
                                          hobbits any less of an individual, separable people with their own
                                          traditions and their own customs. And the same is true of the
                                          Anglo-Saxons. However much time they spent interacting with French and
                                          Germans, and however many Celts and Vikings were also occupying Britain,
                                          the Anglo-Saxons were their own people with their own ethnic identity (as
                                          we'd say today), and the heart of England, the land Tolkien loved, was
                                          their own country, even though it hadn't always been, and even though
                                          others might also claim it as their own. (It's not incompatible.)

                                          > > A fairly clear break, I think, as far as creative literature is concerned,
                                          > > there being a long gap without much except the Ancrene Wisse, which I
                                          > > believe is clearly ME, though certainly early ME. As for the Latin
                                          > > stuff, precisely because it's in Latin it's not OE literature in the
                                          > > language sense, except insofar as the translations are literature.
                                          > > (Which they are: after all, King Alfred translated Boethius, who wasn't
                                          > > English by nationality let alone language, and that's considered a
                                          > > masterpiece of OE literature.)
                                          > >
                                          > No, not really. There is much early creative material, it's just not
                                          > very popular today, nor is it studied or read much because of its
                                          > didactic and hagiographic elements. There are early ballads and lyrics,
                                          > and a few of the romances (Havelock the Dane comes to mind) are rather
                                          > early. Alfred's Boethius is considered a masterpiece of OE literature
                                          > precisely because Alfred rendered it into English. Just as Bede's
                                          > History is a masterpiece. There are also the riddles, chronicles,
                                          > saints' lives and numerous other works that were translated into OE that
                                          > are masterpieces of OE prose and/or poetry.

                                          But they're not major works of the _native OE creative imagination_ the
                                          way that Beowulf is (even if what we have is a retelling). That's the
                                          difference. I wouldn't allow my love for the Silmarillion, or the
                                          History of Middle-earth, or Farmer Giles of Ham, to blind me to the fact
                                          that LOTR is Tolkien's single outstanding masterpiece; nor does this
                                          other stuff take away from Beowulf's unique status.

                                          > BTW, when I mentioned the break between OE and ME, I was referring more
                                          > to the language. Parts of the island probably retained OE well into the
                                          > late 12th century, if not the early 13th. The earliest datable document
                                          > in ME is the entry for the year 1135 in the Peterborough Chronicle of
                                          > the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

                                          No language break is is perfectly sharp, either chronologically or
                                          geographically, but those between OE and ME, and ME and Modern English,
                                          are sharper than most. In any case the OE/ME evolution was long over
                                          before the 14th century which was the time of all the major ME literary
                                          masterpieces. (Yes, I know there was plenty of other literature. I'm
                                          talking about outstanding masterpieces.)

                                          > But copies were being made in the ME period; just look at one of the
                                          > volumes in the Index of Middle English Verse to see how many works were
                                          > copied. There are numerous copies of Monmouth's History, and they were
                                          > all copied in the ME period. There are redactions and redactions of
                                          > numerous works, making the lives of us textual editors interesting.
                                          > Again, while numerous manuscripts and tales/poetry undoubtedly were
                                          > destroyed during the centuries, it is quite amazing, really, that we
                                          > have the number of manuscripts that do survive from the OE and ME
                                          > periods.

                                          The glass is half-full! No, the glass is half-empty!

                                          It would be a lot fuller if the OE literary, linguistic and ecclesiastical
                                          traditions hadn't been so severely disrupted by the Normans. We can be
                                          delighted with what we have, and still note there could have been a lot
                                          more. In particular, as Tolkien noted, there are many OE legendary
                                          figures (Wayland the Smith comes to mind) of whom we know nothing but
                                          their names and a few scraps, but of whom mighty epics were perhaps once
                                          told. No way to be sure.

                                          If there's any distinctively native English mythology that Tolkien
                                          ignored when he made his complaint, it's Robin Hood. But not only is
                                          Robin Hood ME and not OE (thus irrelevant to Lisa's original comment),
                                          but the literature consisted of ballads and other short works, didn't
                                          receive any full-scale treatments until the 19C, and unless you count
                                          Howard Pyle still lacks IMHO a good one.

                                          David Bratman
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                            dbratman@... writes:

                                            > The point of the quotation is that, by analogy, mere residence in a
                                            > country doesn't make one part of an ethnic group.

                                            So Tolkien wasn't really English, but German like his ancestors (or some of
                                            them anyway)?
                                          • David S. Bratman
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                              On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

                                              > > The point of the quotation is that, by analogy, mere residence in a
                                              > > country doesn't make one part of an ethnic group.
                                              >
                                              > So Tolkien wasn't really English, but German like his ancestors (or some of
                                              > them anyway)?

                                              Man, I'm getting it from both sides this week, aren't I?

                                              If by his German ancestors, you mean the ones who _weren't_ Anglo-Saxons,
                                              and who were responsible for the name Tolkien, please refer to Letter 95
                                              ("For barring the Tolkien (which must long ago have become a pretty thin
                                              strand) you [CT] are a Mercian or Hwiccian on both sides"), Letter 44
                                              ("Though a Tolkien by name, I am a Suffield by tastes, talents, and
                                              upbringing"), and Letter 165 ("I am neither `foolhardy' not German,
                                              whatever SOME [emphasis added] remote ancestors may have been. They
                                              migrated to England more than 200 years ago, and became quickly intensely
                                              English ... I am in fact far more of a Suffield"). In other words, the
                                              German side was a tiny strand in his ancestry, which would never have
                                              been noticed had it not been the line that provided his surname. In any
                                              case they did naturalize, and it was thus more than mere residence.

                                              If by his German ancestors you mean the fact that the Anglo-Saxons
                                              originally came from Germany, that's reductionist. The point of my
                                              quotation about Gondor and the 10,000 years was that it takes time to
                                              naturalize, a long time. But England isn't Gondor, either, and 1500
                                              years is surely long enough.

                                              David Bratman
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                                dbratman@... writes:

                                                > Man, I'm getting it from both sides this week, aren't I?

                                                I'm sorry if that came out sounding nasty. I didn't mean it as an attack on
                                                you. An attack on Tolkien, possibly, but not on you.

                                                I was referring to Tolkien's German ancestors, who were 1/64 of his ancestry
                                                (or was it 1/32 or 1/128?). There are Americans who make a big deal of what
                                                country their ancestors immigrated from, even if they immigrated over 200
                                                years ago. There's something a bit odd about an Englishman making a big deal
                                                about his ethnic identity. It's not as odd as an American making a big deal
                                                about his ethnic identity, but it's odd nevertheless.

                                                Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
                                                letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
                                                the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
                                                who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
                                                the book would be utter heresy.

                                                Wendell Wagner
                                              • Ted Sherman
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                                  David,

                                                  I also was not attacking you, or JRRT; this is just an instance where I
                                                  think he was wrong (thankfully, there are very few times where I
                                                  disagree with him).

                                                  Ted

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                                    On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

                                                    > I was referring to Tolkien's German ancestors, who were 1/64 of his ancestry
                                                    > (or was it 1/32 or 1/128?). There are Americans who make a big deal of what
                                                    > country their ancestors immigrated from, even if they immigrated over 200
                                                    > years ago. There's something a bit odd about an Englishman making a big deal
                                                    > about his ethnic identity. It's not as odd as an American making a big deal
                                                    > about his ethnic identity, but it's odd nevertheless.

                                                    Americans tend not, however, to make a big deal out of ancestors who were
                                                    only 1/64th of their ancestry, unless it's something rare and special. I
                                                    know people who are 1/64th Amerind, and proud of it.

                                                    Tolkien didn't make a big deal out of his ancestry: these are three
                                                    letters over an entire lifetime! But to the extent that he did, it was
                                                    1) to correct the misapprehension, from his name, that he was German; 2)
                                                    because he loved his homeland and felt a special connection with it.
                                                    There's nothing wrong with that: here in California, people whose
                                                    ancestors have been here for a whole hundred years feel a special sense
                                                    of connectedness which they hold over those of us who've only been here
                                                    for 30 or 40 years; and we, in turn, who can remember Silicon Valley
                                                    before it was called that, and when it was full of orchards, have
                                                    something over the dot-com weenies.

                                                    > Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
                                                    > letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
                                                    > the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
                                                    > who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
                                                    > the book would be utter heresy.

                                                    I agree with them!

                                                    David Bratman
                                                  • Berni Phillips
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                                      ----------
                                                      >From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                                                      >On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

                                                      >> Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
                                                      >> letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
                                                      >> the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
                                                      >> who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
                                                      >> the book would be utter heresy.
                                                      >
                                                      >I agree with them!

                                                      Hmmph. Surely they would agree to let Americans voice the orcs!

                                                      Berni
                                                      David Bratman is not responsible for the following message:
                                                      (Just kidding, dear!)
                                                    • David S. Bratman
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                                        On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Berni Phillips wrote:

                                                        > David Bratman is not responsible for the following message:
                                                        > (Just kidding, dear!)

                                                        What, I _am_ responsible for the following message? <g>

                                                        DB
                                                      • Ted Sherman
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                                                          "David S. Bratman" wrote:

                                                          >and we, in turn, who can remember Silicon Valley
                                                          > before it was called that, and when it was full of orchards, have
                                                          > something over the dot-com weenies.

                                                          David,

                                                          Your comment about the orchards brought back a flood of memories of the
                                                          Santa Clara Valley when it still have more orchards than concrete. I can
                                                          remember looking down over the valley from Skyline or the Saratoga Gap
                                                          and seeing blossoms--plum and apricot--from the Santa Cruz foothills to
                                                          the Mt. Hamilton range.

                                                          Thanks for the jolt to my memory!

                                                          Ted