Becoming a reader in a family of nonreaders

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      If any of you were interested in my discussion of how I became a major-league
      reader when neither of my parents read that much, I'd like to recommend a
      book I've just started. It's _An Open Book_ by Michael Dirda, and it came out
      late last year. Dirda is an editor at _The Washington Post Book World_. (Well,
      actually, he just quit the paper as an editor but will continue as a
      freelance contributor of reviews for a while as he works on other books, but that
      happened since he finished writing _An Open Book_.) It's a memoir of his growing
      up in a working-class family with parents who didn't read very much. It's
      about how he became a reader, went to college, got a Ph.D. in comparative
      literature, and eventually became a Pulitzer-Prize-winning reviewer.

      Some of you may remember that Dirda was a guest at the 1994 Mythcon in D.C.
      and was on several panels. I had read some of his columns from the early
      1990's about his experiences of becoming a reader in a nonreading family. I had
      discussed with him putting together a panel (with both of us on it) at Mythcon
      about becoming a reader. Eventually I decided that I couldn't find enough
      other panelists for it, and besides we had a lot of other panels for the Mythcon
      anyway.