Oscar Nomination Speculations was: [mythsoc] Screenplay winners

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
      From the Golden Globes - It seems that "Lost in Translation" will
      probably get original screenplay. Everyone seems to have loved that
      movie (didn't see it myself). It was on the smaller quirkier side.

      I have no sense for Adapted, but I believe "Cold Mountain" was an
      adaptation, and was well liked. So it will probably pick that one up.

      But I agree, as an adaption, I wasn't really impressed with LotR. It was
      servicable, but not great. But don't be surprised if it gets nominated.
      I just don't expect it to win.

      LotR seems to be likely to get the Best Movie and Best Director, if
      nothing else but because of the scope of it. Three movies, sustaining
      the feel all the way through... Even if you don't like what he did to
      Tolkien, he did a very decent trilogy of movies. And even though Lucas
      has done trilogies, each movie has been separately filmed and is almost
      it's own story, and came three years after the previous member of the
      trilogy. LotR was filmed all at once (save for some pick up shots), and
      released in three years. It was a much more complicated task, and
      although the Oscar will claim, LotR- Return of the King, it should read
      Lord of the Rings, Vol 1,2,3 <g>.

      I do hope some acting nominations for LotR are included. Ian McKillian
      and Sean Astin are my two favs. Miranda Otto may get a nod. Though Andy
      Serkis keeps coming up, I don't think the Academy is ready for virtual
      actors.

      The nominations for the oscars are announced tomorrow, tuesday. It
      should be interesting.

      On the GG last night - Cate Blanchette looked gorgeous in her dress last
      night. And Fran Walsh was very beautiful too. And Peter wore normal
      clothes! I half expected shorts and barefoot underneath a tux top! He
      was gracious in the movie acceptance speech too.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa