Screenplay winners

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
      In a message dated 1/26/2004 12:12:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      marcfcs@... writes:

      > Best adapted screenplay almost always seems to go to something in the
      > more accepted modern English literature canon, something very
      > character psychology focused, something socially relevant in a
      > liberal kind of way, and/or occasionally something dark or nostalgic
      > with really sharp dialogue.

      Here are the last 13 adapted screenplay winners:

      2002 THE PIANIST
      2001 A BEAUTIFUL MIND
      2000 TRAFFIC
      1999 THE CIDER HOUSE RULES
      1998 GODS AND MONSTERS
      1997 L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
      1996 SLING BLADE
      1995 SENSE AND SENSIBILITY
      1994 FORREST GUMP
      1993 SCHINDLER'S LIST
      1992 HOWARDS END
      1991 THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
      1990 DANCES WITH WOLVES

      Here are the last 13 original screenplay winners:

      2002 TALK TO HER
      2001 GOSFORD PARK
      2000 ALMOST FAMOUS
      1999 AMERICAN BEAUTY
      1998 SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
      1997 GOOD WILL HUNTING
      1996 FARGO
      1995 THE USUAL SUSPECTS
      1994 PULP FICTION
      1993 THE PIANO
      1992 THE CRYING GAME
      1991 THELMA & LOUISE
      1990 GHOST

      They tend to be less big-budget and to be quirkier films than the winners of
      the best picture. Heck, let me admit it: They tend to be better films than
      the best picture winners.

    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
        From the Golden Globes - It seems that "Lost in Translation" will
        probably get original screenplay. Everyone seems to have loved that
        movie (didn't see it myself). It was on the smaller quirkier side.

        I have no sense for Adapted, but I believe "Cold Mountain" was an
        adaptation, and was well liked. So it will probably pick that one up.

        But I agree, as an adaption, I wasn't really impressed with LotR. It was
        servicable, but not great. But don't be surprised if it gets nominated.
        I just don't expect it to win.

        LotR seems to be likely to get the Best Movie and Best Director, if
        nothing else but because of the scope of it. Three movies, sustaining
        the feel all the way through... Even if you don't like what he did to
        Tolkien, he did a very decent trilogy of movies. And even though Lucas
        has done trilogies, each movie has been separately filmed and is almost
        it's own story, and came three years after the previous member of the
        trilogy. LotR was filmed all at once (save for some pick up shots), and
        released in three years. It was a much more complicated task, and
        although the Oscar will claim, LotR- Return of the King, it should read
        Lord of the Rings, Vol 1,2,3 <g>.

        I do hope some acting nominations for LotR are included. Ian McKillian
        and Sean Astin are my two favs. Miranda Otto may get a nod. Though Andy
        Serkis keeps coming up, I don't think the Academy is ready for virtual
        actors.

        The nominations for the oscars are announced tomorrow, tuesday. It
        should be interesting.

        On the GG last night - Cate Blanchette looked gorgeous in her dress last
        night. And Fran Walsh was very beautiful too. And Peter wore normal
        clothes! I half expected shorts and barefoot underneath a tux top! He
        was gracious in the movie acceptance speech too.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa