Re: Goodrich's scholarship?

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
      In a message dated 02/24/2000 9:30:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      dianejoy@... writes:

      << Yet it seems that there should be some
      one who could popularize the facts rather than fiction. ---djb. >>
      Yes this would be a good thing indeed! I read Matthews exactly as you say,
      sorta pop literature. LOL. I will see if I can find that Taliesin story
      that was such fun to read.

      I don't know my Celtic scholars so am glad for your list. THe names I recall
      from whatever it was I studied in college include people like Roger Sherman
      Loomis and I can't remember the others. LOL.

      Hello anyone, is there Good Pop Literature out there?

      Lizzie

      "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > From: ERATRIANO@...
        >
        > In a message dated 02/23/2000 10:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > WendellWag@... writes:
        >
        > << It's an extended theory of what the Holy Grail
        > is.
        > >>
        > So, it's up there with "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," and "The Temple and the
        > Lodge" (Templars and Masons), and suchlike? They were fun reads. There is
        > some Taliesin stuff by Matthews that is tons of fun to read but I don't take
        > them too seriously either (who is it? John and Caitlin?).
        >
        > Lizzie
        >
        > "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"

        John and Caitlin Matthews are two people I tend to avoid when I see
        books on Celtic literature. Their scholarship is suspect, and the
        stances they tend to take are outrageous in the same way that many
        Afrocentric scholars make outrageous claims and base their claims on
        feelings, or pseudo-science. I do have one book by Goodrich on Merlin,
        but got it used (Merlin is someone who could easily be "over the top").
        Barry Cunliffe is rather uneven in scholarship, and so is Peter
        Beresford Ellis (who has not convinced me yet that the Roman roads in
        Britain were built by Celts---except insofar as the Celts might have
        been draft labor for the Romans.)

        I'd look at such works as somewhere between non-fiction and fiction. I
        don't know if there's a literary term for this genre, but it can be fun,
        so long as you keep reminding yourself, "this is pseudo-history, more
        fiction and wish-fulfillment than fact." Real Celtic scholars like
        Joseph Nagy, Myles Dillon, Prionsias MacCana, Rachel Bromwich and others
        simply don't get consulted: understandably in some ways, since Celtic
        languages can be very daunting. Yet it seems that there should be some
        one who could popularize the facts rather than fiction. ---djb.

        an
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
          In a message dated 2/24/00 8:30:37 AM Central Standard Time,
          dianejoy@... writes:

          > Joseph Nagy,

          A real Celtic name for sure :)