"The Horse And His Boy" colour illustrations

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
      Anybody remember these? (Sounds like a job for Mary S...)

      Edith L. Crowe
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 01/26/2004 01:05 PM -----

      Chris Owens <thekingkandy@...>
      01/26/2004 12:41 PM

      To: <edith.crowe@...>
      cc:
      Subject: "The Horse And His Boy" colour illustrations

      Hello,

      I have been trying to solve a mystery for a few months now and I seem to
      have come to a bit of a dead end, so I wondered whether you or any of your
      learned colleagues could help me.

      When I was a young man (I¹m 37 now), I first borrowed the Narnia
      Chronicles
      from my local library in England. They had an old (late 1950s or maybe a
      little later) copy of "The Horse and His Boy" with a couple of full page
      colour illustrations, possibly by Pauline Baynes. I¹m not sure of the
      exact
      date or publisher. These were different to the well known b/w
      illustrations
      which have recently been coloured.

      The colour plates were on a glossy paper, one-sided with a line from the
      text underneath to ³caption² the picture. One of the colour pictures I
      remember was one which would have gone in the chapter ³Shasta falls in
      with
      the Narnians². It was a picture of Shasta¹s company standing in the crowd
      as
      the Narnian royal party passed through the Calormene street. It was a
      marvellous picture!
      My favourite was a particularly nice picture of Shasta sitting down for
      breakfast with the dwarfs. I can¹t remember any other colour plates in
      the
      book, in fact they may have been the only two. (They are etched in my
      memory
      very clearly). It¹s just possible that the illustrations are not by
      Pauline
      Baynes, but the likenesses of the characters was similar (as well as the
      style).

      I¹ve looked and asked about it in rare bookshops, searched online and
      posted
      messages in Narnia groups with little success. Nobody¹s heard of them, but
      they definitely exist as I¹ve seen them! I remember at the time thinking
      it
      odd to have colour plates, and I often went to my library just to look at
      them!

      I would desperately love to see them again to rekindle that warm,
      childhood
      memory of breakfast with the dwarfs. Can you help?

      Any info about this would be gratefully received.

      Thank-you!

      Chris Owens

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
          In a message dated 1/26/2004 3:28:27 PM Central Standard Time,
          Edith.Crowe@... writes:

          >(Sounds like a job for Mary S...)

          Not I - my copies are a boxed set of paperbacks from the 1960's, with nothing
          in color except the covers. And I don't remember ever seeing plates like
          these.

          Doug Gresham may have the answer, if you think it appropriate to pass on his
          e-mail to this fellow I can send it to you in private e-mail.

          Mary S

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
            In regard to Chris Owens' question, we have early British copies of _The
            Horse and His Boy_ in our Pauline Baynes collection, with pictures such as
            he recalls, but published as black and white plates, never (so far as we've
            ever seen) in colour, and without captions. There are four of them: the
            royal party in the street; Shasta among the tombs; Shasta, Aravis, Hwin,
            Bree, and the Hermit, very small under the huge tree; and Shasta and the
            Dwarfs. These were included in the British edition from the first printing
            in 1954 at least through 1961 and probably into the early seventies, but
            then were dropped. They seem to have been toned drawings to begin with
            (i.e. not colour art converted to black and white halftone), in the same
            mode as plates Pauline did a year earlier for _A Treasury of French Tales_
            by Henri Pourrat (Allen & Unwin, 1953).

            Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull
          • Paul Labaki
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
              --- Jack <jack@...> wrote:
              > If you read Korean --
              > http://hanbooks.com/chronofnar3h.html

              Even if the reader doesn't speak Korean, the pictures
              will convey thier wonder just the same.

              Three cheers for the variety in the world, and at
              least one for the www which helps us to share it as
              never before!

              http://photos.yahoo.com/