Re: Goodrich's scholarship?

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
      In a message dated 02/23/2000 10:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << It's an extended theory of what the Holy Grail
      is.

      So, it's up there with "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," and "The Temple and the
      Lodge" (Templars and Masons), and suchlike? They were fun reads. There is
      some Taliesin stuff by Matthews that is tons of fun to read but I don't take
      them too seriously either (who is it? John and Caitlin?).

      Lizzie

      "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
        In a message dated 2/23/00 7:13:49 PM Central Standard Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        > Is _The Holy Grail_ a novel or a supposed work of nonfiction? If it's a
        > novel, is it a good read?
        >
        > Lizzie the Bitchen Biker Turkey Buzzard Grinnin' Doll Playin' Freedom of
        > Speech Speekin' But Backs Off When The Coals Get A Wee Bit Hot Beadin'
        Babe..
        > .
        >
        > "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere!"
        >
        > They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth
        shall

        > be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. (Isaiah
        > 11:9)

        Lizzie:

        Is your =sig file= turning into a novel? :)

        Mary S
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
          In a message dated 02/24/2000 9:30:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          dianejoy@... writes:

          << Yet it seems that there should be some
          one who could popularize the facts rather than fiction. ---djb. >>
          Yes this would be a good thing indeed! I read Matthews exactly as you say,
          sorta pop literature. LOL. I will see if I can find that Taliesin story
          that was such fun to read.

          I don't know my Celtic scholars so am glad for your list. THe names I recall
          from whatever it was I studied in college include people like Roger Sherman
          Loomis and I can't remember the others. LOL.

          Hello anyone, is there Good Pop Literature out there?

          Lizzie

          "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
            ERATRIANO@... wrote:

            > From: ERATRIANO@...
            >
            > In a message dated 02/23/2000 10:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > WendellWag@... writes:
            >
            > << It's an extended theory of what the Holy Grail
            > is.
            > >>
            > So, it's up there with "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," and "The Temple and the
            > Lodge" (Templars and Masons), and suchlike? They were fun reads. There is
            > some Taliesin stuff by Matthews that is tons of fun to read but I don't take
            > them too seriously either (who is it? John and Caitlin?).
            >
            > Lizzie
            >
            > "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"

            John and Caitlin Matthews are two people I tend to avoid when I see
            books on Celtic literature. Their scholarship is suspect, and the
            stances they tend to take are outrageous in the same way that many
            Afrocentric scholars make outrageous claims and base their claims on
            feelings, or pseudo-science. I do have one book by Goodrich on Merlin,
            but got it used (Merlin is someone who could easily be "over the top").
            Barry Cunliffe is rather uneven in scholarship, and so is Peter
            Beresford Ellis (who has not convinced me yet that the Roman roads in
            Britain were built by Celts---except insofar as the Celts might have
            been draft labor for the Romans.)

            I'd look at such works as somewhere between non-fiction and fiction. I
            don't know if there's a literary term for this genre, but it can be fun,
            so long as you keep reminding yourself, "this is pseudo-history, more
            fiction and wish-fulfillment than fact." Real Celtic scholars like
            Joseph Nagy, Myles Dillon, Prionsias MacCana, Rachel Bromwich and others
            simply don't get consulted: understandably in some ways, since Celtic
            languages can be very daunting. Yet it seems that there should be some
            one who could popularize the facts rather than fiction. ---djb.

            an
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
              In a message dated 2/24/00 8:30:37 AM Central Standard Time,
              dianejoy@... writes:

              > Joseph Nagy,

              A real Celtic name for sure :)