WETA artifacts

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2004
      Lizzie,

      I just got the replicas of Theoden's helm and the huscarl helm based on Sutton Hoo.
      They are quite heavy and exquisite, if smaller than I had thought. I wish I'd not waited until after Christmas for Elendil's helm, as it is sold out (they are in lots of about 2,000) and now selling for four times the price on e-bay.

      I would recommend the helms made by WETA/Slideshow, and other such artifacts. The official United Cutlery swords would make quick work of any home invader, but are quite expensive (saw them in a local store)
      This reflects my preference for replica artifacts that could have been from the cultures in the books, rather than movie memorabilia.
      To find them on e-bay, you have to sort through gazillions of dolls and posters.

      At the local Barnes and Nobles, they have bookmarks in the pattern of banners of the Rohirrim that were displayed in Meduseld. I like them. They are rather inexpensive, compared to most of the other items.

      http://www.sideshowtoy.com
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2004
        Thanks for the website, Steve. I will have to look around at it. What
        does WETA stand for? All my brain can come up with at the moment is
        Wizards for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, but I suspect that's not
        quite right.

        I can't imagine a plush Gollum, but I have seen images of a plush Cthulhu,
        so I guess you never know.

        Glad to hear there are fun artefacts worth having.

        Sick kids here lately, so that is all the coherent thought I can come up
        with. Thanks again! Keep passing these things along. Anyone else?

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        AVChrislist @ yahoogroups, an Apple Valley doll hobby list,
        is looking for new members... check us out at
        www.groups.yahoo.com/group/avchrislist
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2004
          >Thanks for the website, Steve. I will have to look around at it. What
          >does WETA stand for? All my brain can come up with at the moment is
          >Wizards for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, but I suspect that's not
          >quite right.

          Isn't WETA the effects group for the LoTR films?
        • juliet@firinn.org
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 20, 2004
            On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:09:46PM -0500, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
            > Thanks for the website, Steve. I will have to look around at it. What
            > does WETA stand for? All my brain can come up with at the moment is
            > Wizards for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, but I suspect that's not
            > quite right.

            WETA is actually a misnomer, according to their site. It's just Weta,
            and isn't an acronym that I can find out. But they are the visual
            effects studio Peter Jackson used in his LOTR movies, as well as in
            Heavenly Creatures. See http://www.wetadigital.com/ if you want to
            know more.

            Julie
          • Matthew Winslow
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 20, 2004
              juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
              > WETA is actually a misnomer, according to their site. It's just Weta,
              > and isn't an acronym that I can find out. But they are the visual
              > effects studio Peter Jackson used in his LOTR movies, as well as in
              > Heavenly Creatures. See http://www.wetadigital.com/ if you want to
              > know more.

              Isn't a weta a NZ bug? I seem to recall something like that from the FOTR
              commentaries.

              "Men speak of time-honored customs; they forget that, while errors may be
              time-honored, truth is eternal."
              --John Quincy Adams
              Currently reading: Silverlock by John Myers Myers
            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 20, 2004
                In a message dated 1/20/2004 8:31:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                jack@... writes:

                "Isn't WETA the effects group for the LoTR films?"

                Yes, it is. It's named after the New Zealand insect named a weta, which I
                believe is something like a grasshopper on steroids (but I may be wrong about
                that).

                Susan

              • JP Massar
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 20, 2004
                  At 09:21 PM 1/20/04, SusanPal@... wrote:
                  >In a message dated 1/20/2004 8:31:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  >jack@... writes:
                  >
                  >"Isn't WETA the effects group for the LoTR films?"
                  >
                  >Yes, it is. It's named after the New Zealand insect named a weta, which I
                  >believe is something like a grasshopper on steroids (but I may be wrong about
                  >that).

                  http://www.omninet.net.au/~kg/kandg/gallery/gallery.html

                  (The first picture under 'Biology', which is clickable to enlarge)
                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 21, 2004
                    In a message dated 1/21/4 5:46:13 AM, Matthew Winslow wrote:

                    <<Isn't a weta a NZ bug?>>

                    Yes, it's a large flightless orthopteran (actually, a group of related
                    species). In the absence of native NZ rodents, wetas filled the ecological niche of
                    mice and rats. Now that *real* mice and rats (and any number of other foreign
                    creatures) have been introduced to NZ, wetas are endangered (as is pretty much
                    everything else that's native to NZ -- much the same story as in Hawaii,
                    alas!).
                    Alexei
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 23, 2004
                      In a message dated 1/21/2004 12:51:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      lizziewriter@... writes:

                      > I can't imagine a plush Gollum, but I have seen images of a plush Cthulhu,
                      > so I guess you never know.

                      I made a similar remark a several years ago, when the Lewis estate announced
                      that there would be a big new marketing push for the Narnia books, with new
                      editions and lots of tie-in products, including plush toys. I said, "Yeah,
                      right. I guess the advertisements will read, 'Aslan: He's not a tame lion, but
                      now he's a squeezable toy for kids.'" Incidentally, what ever happened to that
                      announced big new marketing push for Narnia? It was supposed to have happened
                      by now.