Re: Middle Earth Studies degree program

  • Elizabeth R. Milner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
      So, how can we as a Society hitch a ride on the Gravy train? I think
      we should present ourselves as the independent review board. Perhaps
      we can issue a special certificate. The gold seal would tastefully
      depict Legolas skateboarding to the rescue at Helms Deep...

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Edith.Crowe@s... wrote:
      > Couldn't resist passing this one along. Plenty of people on this
      list
      > could probably pass these tsts right now. Wonder how this would
      impress
      > potential employers?
      >
      > Edith L. Crowe
      > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      > http://www.mythsoc.org
      > ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 01/20/2004 08:34 AM -----
      >

      > Cloverdaleusa@a...
      > 01/19/2004 06:57 PM
      >

      > To: edith.crowe@s...
      > cc:
      > Subject: Middle Earth Studies degree program
      >

      > Earn a Degree in Middle Earth Studies?"
      >
      > Institute for Middle Earth Studies
      > CLOVERDALE COLLEGE
      > 215 South Saint Joseph Street
      > The Century Building, Suite 305
      > South Bend, Indiana 4660l
      > Cloverdaleusa@a...
      > www.cloverdalecollege.org
      >
      > In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the publication of J. R.
      R.
      > Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Cloverdale College is pleased to
      > announce the establishment of The Institute for Middle Earth
      Studies and
      > the inauguration of an internet degree program leading to a B.A.,
      M.A.,
      > and Ph.D. in Middle Earth Studies, beginning April 2, 2004.
      >
      > The purpose of the Institute's degree programs is to foster an
      > intellectual and academic interest in the literary works of J. R.
      R.
      > Tolkien. The B.A. and M.A. degrees in Middle Earth Studies
      consist of a
      > series of six open-book competency-based examinations designed to
      assess
      > the student's knowledge of the texts. These open-book examinations
      are
      > textually sequential and students must master the materials in each
      before
      > proceeding to the next examination. Students must re-take these
      > examinations until a satisfactory score is achieved. There are no
      re-take
      > fees.
      >
      > The Ph.D. is based upon a series of six essays on pre-assigned
      topics
      > which result in a doctoral dissertation of between 25,000 and
      40,000
      > words. The dissertation must be defended in Oxford before the
      Institute
      > faculty. The doctoral presentations are held at the White Horse
      and the
      > Eagle and Child public houses, both favorite meeting places for
      Tolkien
      > and C. S. Lewis.
      >
      > The tuition fee for each degree is $3,000.00. Tuition payments of
      $500.00
      > are linked to the six examinations (for the B.A. and M.A.) or the
      six
      > essays (for the Ph.D.) with a payment being made each time an
      examination
      > or an essay is submitted.
      >
      > The complete internet catalog for 2004 and application forms are
      available
      > upon request.
      >
      > Cloverdale College is an internet school of religious education in
      the
      > Unitarian Free Church tradition committed to the principles of
      reason,
      > conscience, and freedom of thought and expression. Established on
      the
      > 200th anniversary of the founding of the Sunday School Union in
      England in