Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1471

  • pq
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2004
      "Ginger McElwee" wrote:

      > Marc wrote:
      > On the other hand, I'm much more annoyed with things like Terry
      > Brooks Shanara book that do change the names and call it something
      > else as you suggest, but is really just a shallow retelling of LOTR
      > without even an attempt of additional artistic merit over what
      > Tolkien already did.
      >

      > I disagree. I might recognize that Brooks is an imitation of Tolkien; I
      > might think his work is inferior, but he is telling a new story to the
      > best of his ability.

      I couldn't read the first Shanara book when it came out; I
      too saw it as watered-down Tolkien, rather poorly done.
      Last year I made myself read it, though, and a few chapters
      in I realized that Brooks, though he began with the idea of
      aping LOTR, ended up being totally influenced by Edgar Rice
      Burroughs, instead! And once I saw it in that light, I
      could enjoy it, since Brooks was using ERB's storytelling
      devices and style on subject matter that was none of
      Burroughs'; thus the "imitation" slur didn't stick (for me).

      pond