Goodrich's scholarship?

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2000
      WynjaJL [WynjaJL@...] wrote:
      > >I am currently reading The Holy Grail by Norma Lorre Goodrich. In the past
      > >have read her book King Arthur. She seems pretty knowledgeable and has
      > good
      > >credentials, but I am not familiar enough with the subject to know how she
      > >ranks. Is there anyone on the list who is familiar enough with Grail and
      > >Arthurian legend and her work to give me an opinion on how good an
      > authority
      > >she is on the subject? I am especially interested to know if she falls
      > >clearly on one side of any controversial positions.
      > >
      > >Lawrence Wynja

      Buyer beware! Among Arthurian scholars, Goodrich is quite suspect -- shoddy
      scholarship, etc. If you're interested in more, check the Arthurnet archives
      at http://lists.mun.ca/archives/arthurnet.html. When doing a search, be aware
      that one of Arthurnet's members is one Peter Goodrich, so just doing
      'Goodrich' will turn up his name a lot.

      "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
      --Jorge Luis Borges
      Currently reading: Legend: The Genesis of Civilisation by David Rohl
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 23, 2000
        Is _The Holy Grail_ a novel or a supposed work of nonfiction? If it's a
        novel, is it a good read?

        Lizzie the Bitchen Biker Turkey Buzzard Grinnin' Doll Playin' Freedom of
        Speech Speekin' But Backs Off When The Coals Get A Wee Bit Hot Beadin' Babe...

        "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere!"

        They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall
        be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. (Isaiah
        11:9)

          In a message dated 2/23/00 8:13:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          ERATRIANO@... writes:

          > Is _The Holy Grail_ a novel or a supposed work of nonfiction?

          It's supposedly nonfiction. It's an extended theory of what the Holy Grail
          is.
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
            In a message dated 02/23/2000 10:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            << It's an extended theory of what the Holy Grail
            is.

            So, it's up there with "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," and "The Temple and the
            Lodge" (Templars and Masons), and suchlike? They were fun reads. There is
            some Taliesin stuff by Matthews that is tons of fun to read but I don't take
            them too seriously either (who is it? John and Caitlin?).

            Lizzie

            "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
              In a message dated 2/23/00 7:13:49 PM Central Standard Time,
              ERATRIANO@... writes:

              > Is _The Holy Grail_ a novel or a supposed work of nonfiction? If it's a
              > novel, is it a good read?
              >
              > Lizzie the Bitchen Biker Turkey Buzzard Grinnin' Doll Playin' Freedom of
              > Speech Speekin' But Backs Off When The Coals Get A Wee Bit Hot Beadin'
              Babe..
              > .
              >
              > "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere!"
              >
              > They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth
              shall

              > be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. (Isaiah
              > 11:9)

              Lizzie:

              Is your =sig file= turning into a novel? :)

              Mary S
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
                In a message dated 02/24/2000 9:30:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                dianejoy@... writes:

                << Yet it seems that there should be some
                one who could popularize the facts rather than fiction. ---djb. >>
                Yes this would be a good thing indeed! I read Matthews exactly as you say,
                sorta pop literature. LOL. I will see if I can find that Taliesin story
                that was such fun to read.

                I don't know my Celtic scholars so am glad for your list. THe names I recall
                from whatever it was I studied in college include people like Roger Sherman
                Loomis and I can't remember the others. LOL.

                Hello anyone, is there Good Pop Literature out there?

                Lizzie

                "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
                  ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                  > From: ERATRIANO@...
                  >
                  > In a message dated 02/23/2000 10:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > WendellWag@... writes:
                  >
                  > << It's an extended theory of what the Holy Grail
                  > is.
                  > >>
                  > So, it's up there with "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," and "The Temple and the
                  > Lodge" (Templars and Masons), and suchlike? They were fun reads. There is
                  > some Taliesin stuff by Matthews that is tons of fun to read but I don't take
                  > them too seriously either (who is it? John and Caitlin?).
                  >
                  > Lizzie
                  >
                  > "Off-topic posts follow me everywhere"

                  John and Caitlin Matthews are two people I tend to avoid when I see
                  books on Celtic literature. Their scholarship is suspect, and the
                  stances they tend to take are outrageous in the same way that many
                  Afrocentric scholars make outrageous claims and base their claims on
                  feelings, or pseudo-science. I do have one book by Goodrich on Merlin,
                  but got it used (Merlin is someone who could easily be "over the top").
                  Barry Cunliffe is rather uneven in scholarship, and so is Peter
                  Beresford Ellis (who has not convinced me yet that the Roman roads in
                  Britain were built by Celts---except insofar as the Celts might have
                  been draft labor for the Romans.)

                  I'd look at such works as somewhere between non-fiction and fiction. I
                  don't know if there's a literary term for this genre, but it can be fun,
                  so long as you keep reminding yourself, "this is pseudo-history, more
                  fiction and wish-fulfillment than fact." Real Celtic scholars like
                  Joseph Nagy, Myles Dillon, Prionsias MacCana, Rachel Bromwich and others
                  simply don't get consulted: understandably in some ways, since Celtic
                  languages can be very daunting. Yet it seems that there should be some
                  one who could popularize the facts rather than fiction. ---djb.

                  an
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 24, 2000
                    In a message dated 2/24/00 8:30:37 AM Central Standard Time,
                    dianejoy@... writes:

                    > Joseph Nagy,

                    A real Celtic name for sure :)