Fw: forward to Mytheopic Society

  • WynjaJL
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2000
      From: TEMP.CONTRACTOR <temp.contractor1@...>
      To: WynjaJL@... <WynjaJL@...>
      Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 1:40 PM
      Subject: forward to Mytheopic Society

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2000
        At least some people don't think much of the book. Here are the two readers'
        reviews of _The Holy Grail_ on the Amazon.com web site.

        *******************

        Reading contrary interpretations or views of historical events and influences
        often means mining for facts, for bits of intellectual insight which enable
        the reader to reassemble the necessary sequences to distinquish cause from
        effect. The reader's mining of such information from this book is tedious,
        laborious and minimally productive. The text is full of fits and starts,
        restarts and redundancies, and so many non sequiturs that it approaches
        comedic proportions. I kept reading in hopes of finding something worthwhile
        or substantive, with little actual result. I kept wanting to throw the book
        across the room in frustration. Don't study it and hope to retain your sanity
        for long.

        *******************
        For all of Dr. Goodrich's energetic prose, she understands neither the
        medieval Arthurian Grail tradition nor the variant forms of the Grail
        tradition as they existed in medieval culture. Judging by the visual arts, a
        form of the Grail history was known possibly as early as 200 C.E. with the
        tradition exploding in popularity during the Middle Ages. Variant Arthurian
        tales (most of which bring the Grail to Europe in the time of Joseph of
        Arimathea, the first century C.E.) can be accounted for by historical impact
        from the Sanct Sang traditions, by legends of sacred treasure, and by folk
        traditions, some of which still flourish today. The Grail story is
        Continental in origin and transmits to the British Isles well after the dates
        it appears in the Rhine region, Brittany, and southern France. Dr. Goodrich
        weaves an eminently believable fantasy that she misrepresents as historical
        fact and that is doing her readers a grave disservice.